Chapter Eleven: Do You Hear Them Too?

A/N: sorry to my 2 readers that it takes so long for me to post chapters I'm doing other writing projects now which takes all of my attention lol

"What'd you find?" Valerie called from across the room.

"Disappointingly little," I told her. "Other then the names and hospitals of anyone Thomas injected, but we already knew that."

"Well, I hate to say I told you so," Beatrix said, her nails tapping the screen of her phone like she was writing a novel or something. "All there really is other then that, is some weird updated version of the original journal. I never got to look at it before you came asking for the USB."

"And you let me have it," I reminded her.

"You're welcome," she responded.

"How about we have a look at that journal," Evianna said from beside me, interrupting. Pluto appeared by my other shoulder, and I looked through the folders. "Uhh, I can't find it," I said.

"Here, let me," Valerie said, coming up from behind me. I stepped back, and her nimble fingers started tapping on the keyboard.

"So, what are we looking for?" Valerie asked. "Docs? Pages?"

"Some journal app," Beatrix responded. "Should be easy to find."

"Got it!" Valerie announced. She stepped aside, and I got back in front of the computer. We watched as it loaded up.

"This is more like his notes," Pluto said. They were right, the pages that came up were mostly bullet points and short sentences.

Beatrix joined us at the table, and then there were five of us crowding around the laptop. "Okay, this is mostly stuff about the kids he was gonna infect. Probably hasn't been updated in over fifteen years," Beatrix commented.

"Actually, it was updated a year ago," Valerie said, tapping the top of the page, which had an update date.

I scrolled down to the bottom of the page, and found a new set of notes. "Wait, this is all about a new batch," Beatrix said, leaning over my shoulder.

"What, like, more serum?" Evianna asked.

"Looks like it," I responded, reading over the bullet points talking about how "disappointing" the first time had been. "Guess he used it all up the first time. I know he didn't make much, since most of the kids just got genetically enhanced before they were born, which had been tested before. The serum was his little side project. A few of the kids that got it died not long after."

"Holy shit," Pluto said. "But that means..."

"A new generation," Valerie whispered. "Of kids with powers. Given to them by an unstable, almost untested serum."

"Did he do it already?" Evianna asked. "Did he finish?"

"It doesn't look like it," I said. "In the physical journal, he wrote a long dramatic entry on what he was gonna do and how he was gonna do it. There's nothing here."

"That's probably cause I stole the USB," Beatrix said.

"He can still add to it," Valerie reminded her.

Beatrix blinked. "Right. Yeah."

"If he updates, will we see it on this?" I asked. Valerie shook her head.

"I wish. It doesn't work like that. Everything he's already done is saved onto here."

"The first batch took years. We can probably assume that he hasn't finished yet. It'll be fine,"  Evianna said. She was probably right.