Chapter Twenty Seven: Kill Them All

A/N: this chapter is gonna be boring but also lit lol

"What was that?" I asked. "Was that a train whistle?"

"No," Olivia said, finally speaking. "It can't be. This place is abandoned."

"Can you turn the flashlight back on?" I asked. "I can't see anything."

I stepped forward, feeling around until I felt her arm. "We need to get out of here," I said.

Her fingers tightened around my wrist, holding it in a vice like grip. "I'm scared," she whispered. "I- I don't want- they're coming for me."

"Who?" I asked. "Who's coming for you?"

"Who do you think?" she asked. "Thomas said he would never let me go. That if I escaped, he would just find me again."

"He's not gonna find you," I promised. "I'll make sure you never see him again."

The train whistle blew again, and I heard it coming closer. "It's here," I whispered. "We need to go!"

"Yeah, you're right," she said. "You're right, we gotta go."

"Valerie!" I called. I turned on my heel, and the whole tunnel seemed to lurch. I fell on my hands and knees, and it all spun around me. Now I was feeling pretty sick myself.

"Val!" I called. "We need to go! Where are you?"

"I'm here," she said weakly. "I can't get up."

I stumbled over to her, finding her in the darkness. "What do you mean you can't get up?" I asked.

"My legs," she sobbed. "My legs, they don't work!"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"They've turned to ice," she said. "They're just blocks of ice, and it's so cold and-"

I reached down, trying to find her legs. My hands brushed her cotton pants. They felt normal. "Your legs aren't ice," I promised her. "You can walk!"

"I can't!" she cried. "I can't, it's all ice! I'm gonna die!"

Grabbing her arms, I hauled her up, and tried to drag her with me. "We have to run!" I told her. "The train is coming! It's gonna run us down! It's coming right now!"

"There is no train," she said. "But I can feel the ice!" I pulled her along with me, until we were by Olivia. I could hear the train thundering down the tracks, growing closer by the second.

I dropped to my knees, holding my stomach and curling in on myself, gasping for the air there was so little of. Waves of pain rolled down my body with no distinct origin, and it was blinding, suffocating, excruciating. I was going to die in here, were the only thoughts I could muster. We were all going to die in here.

"It's over," I said. I had to say it several times before I was sure that the words had truly left my mouth and I hadn't just thought them. "The train is too close. We can't get away."

"They're coming for me!" Olivia cried desperately. "I can hear them, they're coming! Don't let them take me!"

As I held Valerie up and Olivia wailed about the people coming for her beside me, the train turned the corner, hurtling towards us. I could see it's outline in the darkness. And in that moment, I decided to try one more time. I couldn't let Valerie and Olivia die like this. And I couldn't leave the rest of my friends alone.

As it appeared right in front of me, I defied myself, tried to focus as I was determined to stop if from hurting us. Here was my chance to use my powers for good.

The train did not collide with us, I felt the explosion of my powers hitting it without hearing it. I felt the tremors around me, and suddenly there was no solid ground under my feet. Then, I felt it under my back.