10

Olivia's POV

My husband came to get me after work, and the entire squad stared at him as he waltzed into the room. 

"Is there something on my face or my jacket?" Rafael asked, as he quickly scrubbed his hand down his face.

"It is just weird to be seeing you as Olivia's husband now." Fin replied as he leaned back in his chair. I turned to look at my friend and shook my head.

"Guys, he's still Barba. The only thing that has really changed is the fact he's married to me now. Nothing else. So please, stop making this awkward." I sighed.

"Liv-" Amanda started, but I just held up my hand and silenced them.

"Get used to me being married to Barba. Now, if we are done with this all, I am going to celebrate my birthday. Have a good night."

I grabbed my jacket and purse before reaching out and grabbing Rafael's hand. We slipped out of the room together, but Rafael stopped me by the elevator.

"Thanks for standing up for me, Liv... I found that incredibly hot." Rafael whispered, as he helped me with my jacket.

"Oh, really?" I asked, and Rafael smiled.

"Really. I think we have time before our dinner reservation. Maybe we can take a detour to your apartment."

"I like your thinking, Mr. Barba."

///

Rafael and I missed our reservation since we spent way too much time together in my bed. I didn't mind that it happened, because I'd rather be with Rafael than out in public.

"Pizza is ordered, so we have about twenty minutes before I have to be dressed and ready to meet the pizza guy downstairs." Rafael spoke as I walked out of the bathroom.

"Pizza and sex... this is the best birthday I could ask for, Rafa." I smiled. Rafael leaned back against the pillows and grinned as he looked me over.

"Now, can we talk about some other matters? Then, after dinner, we can get going again."

"What other matters?" I mused, as I padded over to the bed and climbed in beside my husband.

"Like moving. I'm going to be working with narcotics now, so we won't be able to see each other as often. If we lived together, then we can see each other every morning and night. We can sleep in the same bed together."

"Then let's move! I don't want to be married but living separately! We clearly have something real, and I don't want that to fade because we never spend time together." I exclaimed passionately.

"I'd like us to get a new place, if possible. We make good money and can afford a house or a bigger apartment. I'd rather us plan for the future now, instead of when something pops up and we gotta make big decisions fast." Rafael spoke as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

I leaned into his side and thought about what our future may hold. Like kids and growing old together. I wanted to experience the things that I may not experience if Rafael wasn't by my side.

"Liv?" Rafael asked, and I blinked a few times before turning to face my husband.

"I think the idea of something bigger. Maybe three bedrooms..." I trailed off.

"Three?"

"Yeah, one for us, an office, and then maybe one for a little Barba..." I breathed. 

I watched as Rafael's cheeks grew red. I didn't know if that was a sign he changed his mind or if I caught him at a bad time.

"Does that-"

"It sounds amazing, Liv. I haven't even really thought too deep into the idea of kids, but now I will. Let me think about that, okay?"

"Of course, Rafa. I am going to go grab a bottle of wine. Might as well continue the celebration and talk later."

///

My birthday was amazing, but the next morning Rafael had to go to Manhattan Narcotics to meet his unit. I hated the idea of not working with him anymore, but being married to him was worth the transfer.

"Welcome back, Cabot." I smiled as I walked into the courthouse with a coffee in hand.

"Barba!" Alex laughed, and I blushed as she took the cup from me.

"It is going to take a while to get used to that... god do I love it though." I replied.

"So, how did you two decide who'd leave? When Jack informed me of my transfer, I was shocked. I expected for you and Rafael to put up more of a fight."

"Well, we discussed who would leave. Rafael was still newer to SVU than I was, so he left."

"Is that going to effect your marriage at all? Like spending more time apart?" Alex asked, and I was quick to shake my head.

"I don't think so, Alex. We are going to look into bigger apartments soon, and until we move, he's putting his items in storage and moving in with me."

"Does his family approve of this? When you got married, you two still hadn't told Lucia and Catalina about the union." Alex spoke, as she glanced at her watch before motioning me to follow her.

We walked for a moment before I answered.

"They still don't know. Rafael is scared to tell them, especially since we didn't let them plan the whole thing. They hate us both right now, so I guess keeping it from them is the best. But eventually we will need to be the bigger people and apologize."

"Why?"

"Why do we need to apologize?" I questioned.

"Yeah, why? You and Rafael made some poor choices, but it was to protect his mom and grandmother. Not to hurt them. It ended like that, but it wasn't expected."

"Rafael and I talked about kids last night. I am thirty-four and Rafael is turning thirty-nine this year. We don't have as much time as others, and we'd like to plan to start trying in the next year or so. I don't have a mother anymore, so I would need the support of two women that have had kids before. Rafael is their baby, as well. So they are probably struggling just as much as Rafa is."