Chapter 27

(Vashishth House: Miraculous Mistake)

They sat in a circle. Rajveer beside Shikha, beside Meghna, beside Manish, beside Mitali Kapoor, beside Lavanya, beside Mahi, beside Mrs Awasthi, beside Rajveer.

"Something happened right here that triggered it." Mrs Awasthi said.

"For the hundredth time," Veer said exasperatedly. "I was holding a log. I did not whistle."

"I didn't say you did." Mrs Awasthi said. She turned to the sisters. "You have lived here for a decade. Have you ever seen or heard something like it?"

"No." Shikha said.

"There's one thing." Meghna said. "Another one of don't talk points of Ma, but I guess it was for naught. When we initially shifted here, Shikha used to sit here near the well and look right there for hours. We never knew what she was looking at."

Mrs Awasthi turned to Shikha. "What were you looking at?"

"I don't remember. I was a kid."

The door opened and in walked Chandani.

In the silence, Chandani turned to the havan spot and walked towards it.

"Jiji?"

"Can't you hear it?" Chandani smiled.

Mrs Awasthi realized what was happening and rushed up to Chandani. "What are you doing?"

"Listening to them. They're calling me." Her eyes were dazed.

"Meeku, stop her. She's on suicide watch."

"What?" Veer got up and tried to pull Chandani out of her stupor. "Chandani, come on, what are you doing?"

"Where are you?" Mrs Awasthi shouted into her phone. "Well, Khushi was right! You need to get here, right now. Chandani is trying to commit suicide."

The next moment, the door opened once again and a large woman came in. She went to Chandani who looked like she didn't remember her. "Okay, child. Time to remember."

The woman touched Chandani's temple.

"But you already remember, don't you? I see."

The woman picked up some vermilion from the vacant havan seats.

"Kunal, you can stop now. You know she's guilty. You know she was manipulated." If the woman had not talked out loud, she would be mistaken for talking to herself.

Chandani seemed to come out of a daze. "What's going on?"

"Jiji." Shikha wrapped herself around Chandani. "We were so scared." Suddenly, Shikha looked towards the first floor corridor.

"What are you looking at?" Mahi asked.

"Geeta." The large woman said. "She's been mocking their aunt."

"Do I know you?" Chandani asked.

"A lot of people do." The woman smiled at her. Then she turned to the havan pyre and the other people closed in.

The woman turned to Meghna. "You're pregnant." Before anyone could react, she said, "Get out of the house. I'd rather another witch not die today."

Mitali Kapoor looked shocked, upset, startled, hopeful and finally she said. "Yes Maji. Manish, Meghna, both of you, outside now."

"But Shikha-"

"Is to stay in." The woman said. "She has a trial."

"M-me?" Shikha stuttered.