Chapter 24

(Allahabad: A rickety road)

Khushi felt herself being dragged out of the tiny room they had thrown her in. It had been hours and Payal mentioned how weird it was that the kidnappers didn't know she wasn't Chandani. Khushi had agreed but then again, of course they didn't know she was not Chandani. Something was wrong with the men. They never removed that stinking bag from her head.

Her hands had been tied for hours and she was starting to feel pain in her joints. Sure, she felt only half of it, but she didn't know how she would move when the time came. Her legs had been feeling like jelly.

Thus, it had been quite convenient that they hadn't removed that stinking bag.

"Sashtri Sahab said to take her to the tracks for the 10am. Hurry along now."

Khushi's panic fuelled Payal.

"Train?" Payal screamed.

"What?" Advay asked from beside her.

"They're taking her to the railway station!" Arnav said. "I'm going to-"

"Sit down Arnav." Khushi spoke.

"But they're-"

"I am fine. You're right where I need you to be."

She could see Arnav seething. The whole atmosphere of the living room was dreadful.

"Oh come on. I'll be fine guys, run along and do your work. The screening starts soon, too."

"How can you think anything is more important than your safety right now?" Chandani argued.

"I am safe, you watch what happens dear. They won't know where I am, if they can't see me, can they?"

Chandani chewed her lip. "Why did you this Khushi?"

"Do you know of anyone else who can disappear?"

Chandani shook her head and slumped back on her seat.

"I hear train whistles. Ready?" Khushi asked, looking at Arnav.

Arnav nodded.

Khushi blinked and was provided with a different surrounding. The van she was in now was nearing the railway station.  It seemed they were not on the main road, for the van was shuttling quite a lot.

She blinked again. "Advay Bhai, do you know these routes?"

"Like the back of my hand."

"Where are you?" Chandani asked.

"Remember the cliffs beside the railway station?" Advay asked.

"Oh my God. Nobody ever goes there."

"Good place to throw someone under a train." Khushi commented.

"Shut up!" Payal yelled at her.

Khushi blinked back to her own body. The van stopped after a few minutes and she was dragged out towards the rail tracks.

"You know, you might want to see my face." Khushi spoke out loud to the kidnappers for the first time.

"Didn't you check?" One of the men shouted.

"Ah, Indrani Vashishth. You're slipping."

The bag was removed from her head. Sunlight hit her face, and Khushi moved her face away, trying to stay as aware as possible.

"That's not Chandani, you bastard." Another man spoke.

"You're right. I'll see you in jail, because do you who I am?"