Chapter 2

(Allahabad: IV vs KG Part 1)

Chandani Yashnarayan Vashishth took the second last turn towards her home. Always quiet,  the street had an eerie resemblance to a faded memory. People wandered less, chattered less and moved fast if they had to pass the street. Today, it was completely empty.

Chandani moved lazily. The puja at the Mandir had been a resounding success, the wayfarers and locals had equally praised her parents hard work of all these years. She felt elated.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed her elbow.

Dev!

"Shh!" It was a girl.

Chandani looked around to see they were cramped in one of the broken walls.

"Ye aap kya kar-" The hand over her mouth stopped her question.  (What are you do-)

"Lagta hai kat li boss." Chandani heard a voice.  (I think she slipped by us.)

"Jaegi kidhar, wapas idhar hi aane ka hai usko. Ghar ka sidha rasta kabhi nahi leti hai wo ladki." (Where will she go, she never takes the straight road to her home. She'll be here.)

"Chalo wapas sab apne apne jagah. Aaj Chandani bachni nahi chahiye."  (Everyone, back to their places. Chandani shouldn't slip by us today.)

The girl's eyes, bright blue, were the only thing stopping Chandani from reacting. It was as if she was hypnotized.

After a few seconds, the girl spoke. "Chandani?"

"Aap kaun?" Her voice had turned raspy.  (Who are you?)

"Wo baad mein. Tumhare ghar ka seedha rasta kaun sa hai?" (Later. What is the straight road to your home?)

Chandani pointed to the other end of the broken wall.

"Aage aap." (You first.)

Chandani heard the girl following her. Once outside the broken structure,  Chandani turned back to see it was no girl but a woman. A modern day wayfarer.  The woman was dressed shoulder to knee in a dress that should not be on her on such an auspicious day.

"Yahi rukiye." (Stay here.)

"Par-" (But-)

Now Chandani was in control. "Lala kaka, zara Meghu ko bulana!"  (Lala Uncle, call Meghu, please!)

"Tanwar, Meghu ko bulana!" Lala Kaka shouted to another man. (Tanwar, call Meghu please)

Chandani hit her head. "Lala Kaka, usko bolna Shikha ke ek jodi kapde laane!" (Lala Uncle, ask her to bring one of Shikha's dress!)

"Tanwar, Meghu ko bolna Shikha ke ek jodi kapde le ke aaye!" (Tanwar, ask Meghu to bring one of Shikha's dress!)

Tanwar repeated the instructions to another man down the street.  After 10 minutes, they heard Lala Kaka. "Aa rahi hai, par dono mil ke wasulenge. Kumbh chalu ho gaya hai!" (She's coming, but I figure you'll owe them one. Kumbh has started showing it's time!)

"Ye aap kya kar rhi hain?" The woman finally spoke. (What are you doing?)

"Tumhare liye kapde mangwa rahi hun." Chandani said in a duh manner.  (Getting some appropriate clothes for you.)

"Badon ko aap kahte hain." Came the stern reply. (You adress elders with respect)

Badon ko aap kahte hain. Her knees felt week. Aaj Chandani bachni nahi chahiye. She knew the moment she fainted because four voices boomed in her head.

"Chandani!" "Chandani Jiji!" "Jiji!"

(Mumbai: Nightmares)

"Chandani!" Advay Singh Raizada opened his eyes and heard the loudspeaker go silent.