Chapter 23

(1995: The madness within)

"It's time to start living our lives." Mahant Vashishth heard his wife.

"16 years of peace." He said. Those were the last words he spoke for quite a while.

For something was there, just beneath the surface, beckoning him to break his thoughts. It was as if a kaleidoscope was switched on inside his mind. Any thought he had kept bouncing over and over and over again until it was lost, taken over by another.

(Nutan Street: Evidence)

"Where did you find this?" Advay asked Dinesh Awasthi.

"My mother had it."

"I thought his album got released."

"After whatever happened, no one wanted to release this. It's brilliant yes, but no one wanted to risk being associated with him. So the production house trashed them. Thankfully, they sent the original back to my mother, knowing she would want it."

"Well, thanks." Advay traced his father's face on the casette.

"Anyway, just wanted to bring it to you. And also tell you to be at Kumbh by 7pm. That's when Ma and Mahi Aunty will be there."

"Sure, we'll be on time. Thank you so much for everything, Awasthi." NK said.

"Nandu, I'm also closing your file."

"Don't call me that. And thanks."

"To think I was afraid of Rathore."

"Awasthi!"

"I'm leaving."

(Delhi: Gupta House)

"Garima, you've been quiet today."

"I met Manorama."

"Oh, I see. How is she?"

"Good. She invited us to breakfast tomorrow."

"Breakfast?"

Garima nodded.

Sashi put aside his newspaper. "There's more."

"Do you know why Khushi and Payal are in Allahabad?"

"Garima, when do our daughters ever tell us anything in one go? I'm sure they'll explain when they're back."

"I'm just worried about them. It's Allahabad and... they're your daughters."

"They have never shown any affinity to nature. Forget having magic, I doubt they believe in it."

"Can... can a person have magic and not know about it?"

"Your head is a devil's den right now. Stop overthinking and tell me all about Manorama. How's her family?"

(Kumbh: Electric Realizations)

Mrs Awasthi and Mahi stood beside four people. Two pairs of twins.

"I'm not seeing it." Mahi said.

"What do you mean?" Mrs Awasthi asked.

"It's just not right." Mahi looked up at the sky. "No. Definitely not right."

"The stars?"

"The power, my friend. We need more numbers."

"Mahi, what spell did you cast?"

"Mano was wrong. It's not a place, it's a time."

"A time? What if we miss it? These four ticking bombs will wait another 12 years and not detonate?"