Masquerade with Me ~ Chapter 12

Angeline stood in her dressing room staring into the large mirror that hung on the wall. She was wearing a lovely red dress. It had a strap on the right shoulder and swooshed down. It had beautiful diamond-like gems on the waist, and the bottom flowed along the ground.

Angeline had cut and positioned the red rose in her dirty blond hair. She walked back toward the vanity and picked up her mask. It was black with ornate red print and sparkles. Deep down she knew that when she had bought all this, she really wanted to impress the Phantom. Even if, at the time, she didn't think she loved him.

She walked out of the dressing room and through the now empty halls. Everyone had changed quickly and was already in the main lobby.

Music rung through the dressing area, as Angeline made her way toward the main hall. She began to hum to herself. "Masquerade...Paper faces on parade, Masquerade. Hide your face so the world will never find you..."

Her mind was solely on one thing: the Phantom. She knew now that she really did love him. It wasn't just a thought that she could shove to the back of her mind. This was really happening.

Angeline turned the corner and looked out over the vast crowd of people. The people she had once thought she had known, now all hidden from the world with masks. But, where was the Phantom?

A light tap on the shoulder, interrupted her thoughts.

"You look lovely, my dear." A deep voice said.

Angeline turned to see who had complemented her. A bright smile came across her face. It was the Phantom. "Thank you, Monsieur." She studied him for a moment.

He was adorn in a scarlet red suit and jacket outfit. His red cape draped beyond his leather boots, and his hands were clad in a pair of black leather gloves. The Phantom's mask was a rather peculiar one. It was somewhat of a skeleton like face that came down to his mouth.

"I like your...costume." Angeline said.

The Phantom smiled. "This old thing? Well, thank you." He looked out over the crowd. "Will you Masquerade with me?" He extended his hand.

Angeline took it and they walked down the stairs.

It felt all like a dream. This Masquerade, this adventure, all seemed to be an unreal event. To Angeline it seemed magical, and she never wanted to wake up from this dream.

The Phantom glided Angeline over to the dance floor. He took her hand in his and placed his other gingerly on her hip. "Do you know how to waltz?" He asked. 

Angeline lowered her head a little. "Uh, well...I was hoping to just go with it..."

The Phantom chuckled a little. "It is simple. I'll teach you."

Angeline hesitated for a moment, but allowed the Phantom to guide her movements. After a few stepped on toes and a few mistakes, Angeline finally got it down. They danced the waltz and a few French folk songs. Even a few peppy drinking songs were played.

The Phantom seemed to be enjoying himself, and that was really all Angeline cared about.

He pulled her off to one side, after a good handful of dances. "See, what did I tell you? You are having a lovely time dancing."

Angeline smiled at him brightly. "I guess I am a fast learner." She giggled.

The Phantom chuckled. "It would appear so." He looked over the see of people and then back at Angeline's lovely face. He really did love her. It was more prevalent now then ever before. She was gorgeous tonight, not like she wasn't always, but tonight seemed exceptional.

His heart began to race with joy. "Um, Angeline..."

"Yes, Phantom?" Angeline looked into his eyes. No longer did the black one seem full of hate and crime, but now joyful and loving.

"Please, call me Erik." He smiled.

Angeline seemed confused. "Erik? I thought you said..."

The Phantom, or Erik, held up his hand. "I realize some of the things I said may not have been hold hearted truth, but that is in the past. Right now I desire to ask you something."

"And what is that?" Angeline asked.

"I wish for you to join me on the roof in ten minutes." Erik said.

Angeline seemed hesitant but shook her head in agreement. "Okay, Erik..."

"Great! Don't be late." He hurried off like an eager school boy at the final bell.

Angeline chuckled. What was on that man's mind?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Angeline had made her way around, thanking those who had come and watched. There were a few nobles and old patrons that came and said they loved it. Angeline was honored to have such a turn out.

She was making her way to the grand stair case when a familiar voice called her name.

"Angeline?" Came the voice.

She turned to see none other than Peter. "What are you doing here?" She exclaimed, rushing up to him. All thoughts of Erik temporarily leaving her mind.

Peter smiled shyly. "Well I wanted to at least hear you sing."

"But what about the Opera Ghost, and the curse, and what not?" Angeline countered.

Peter shrugged. "Aw, those things ain't got nothing on my girl."

Angeline blushed. "Well, thank you Peter. That was very sweet of you." She glanced at the large clock that hung over the grand stair case. "Oh! Excuse me Peter. I have a meeting to attend."

She turned to go, but Peter grabbed her arm. "Hey you can't leave yet! We just saw each other."

Angeline sighed. "Peter..."

He stuck a finger up to her lips. "Come with me to the roof."

"But, I can't go with you...I..." Angeline hesitated for a moment. She was suppose to meet Erik up there.

"Come on! Please?" Peter begged.

Angeline sighed. "Fine, but for a minute okay?"

Peter nodded, and they both climbed the grand stair case and walked toward the roof stairs.

When they walked through the heavy metal door, the cold air of early January bit at their faces.

"Brr! It is cold out here." Angeline said, pulling her arms near.

Peter stamped his feet a little. "Yeah, well...I'll try to make this quick."

Angeline looked at him. "Make what quick?"

Peter walked her out into the center of the roof. "Well...Angeline, I...well I don't know how to say it."

"Peter, what is it?" Angeline was getting impatient.

"Okay, I'm just going to say it! Angeline I love you!" Peter practically yelled.

Angeline blushed and opened her mouth to say something, but Peter continued.

"I love you with all my heart, Angeline, and I really want us to be together forever. I know it is probably just a stupid thought, but I need to tell you this." Peter kept going. "I am not really proposing or anything...but Angeline, I just want us to be together!"

Angeline pushed a finger to his lips to keep him from continuing. "Peter, I am honored, but..."

Peter shoved her finger out of the way and kissed her on the lips. He held her close.

Angeline thought about Erik for one second of time, then the spell of music was broken. Everything was clear now, and in turn Erik was not her love. Peter had taken her back with a kiss.

She stayed close to his body. This was who she really loved.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All the time, while this was going on, Erik was standing behind one of the bronze horse sculptures on the roof.

Tears of rage and sadness filled his eyes. Angeline had betrayed him; the same way Christine had. He held the crystal necklace he had bought Angeline in his clenched fist. The soft sound of crunching metal was heard in his glove. He dropped the broken chain onto the snowy roof.

That fop would pay. No one would steal the love of his life from him again!