Christmas Gifts ~ Chapter 8

The weeks flew by. Angeline spent a majority of time with Peter. The Phantom didn't seem to mind. All though she really hadn't told the Phantom what she was doing.

The Phantom had spent a large amount of time fixing up the opera house. Which in turn made Angeline happy. He had cleaned and fixed nearly all of the opera house. He had devised an ingenious plan. Something he knew Angeline could never say no to.

The Phantom had called around, and collected a simple group of singers and dancers. Surprisingly, these people were willing to work without face-to-face confrontation. He had written a new opera. Something different from what the population was use to. If that wasn't enough, the Phantom had also set up a wonderful surprise for the new year.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Christmas came quickly. The Phantom had even gone out and bought something special for Angeline. He had planned it all out in his head.

First they would have a Christmas dinner together. Then the Phantom would give Angeline the special present. Once she was done admiring it, he would tell her the exciting news of the grand re-re-opening of the opera house. It was a sure fire plan!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Phantom woke early Christmas morning and went into town the grab a few things. Angeline woke slightly later.

She thought that perhaps he had gone off to take care of what ever it was that he did every other day. Why did Christmas day have any exceptions?

Angeline dressed in a lovely red silk dress, and combed her hair into curls at the tips. She placed on her jacket and some warm winter boots. Peter had invited her to spend Christmas with him and his grandfather. Angeline readily accepted, not realizing the Phantom had had plans of his own.

She left in a hurry, not paying much attention to anything. Peter seemed to be the only thing that filled her thoughts recently. They had gotten to re-know each other, and their friendship had bloomed into something more. If it had not been clear before, it was now. Angeline was in love with Peter, and Peter was in love with Angeline.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Phantom returned not soon after Angeline left. "Angeline! I have a surprise for you!" He said in a sing-song tone.

The only thing that replied was his echo.

He narrowed his brow. "Angeline?" He called again.

Still nothing.

The Phantom wandered down every passage way and hall. Nothing but an empty opera house. He finally returned to his cave. "Angeline!" His voice boomed through the cave.

An echo responded, but not the voice of Angeline.

Tears began to build in his eyes. Had she left him for good? But worst, was he to spend another Christmas alone?

He felt in his pocket and produced a small white, square box. He lifted the lid and looked at the gorgeous diamond necklace he had purchased for Angeline. Now she wasn't even here to accept it. The Phantom really liked Angeline, dare he say it-loved her.

The Phantom drug himself into the bedroom. His little music box sat on the bedside table. He moved his body onto his bed and played the music box. It's soft melody, putting him into a deep sleep.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Angeline spent the entire day with Peter. They laughed and played games at Peter's grandfather's home. She was having the time of her life. It was like an old childhood memory from Rome.

Peter and Angeline sat on a comfortable sofa in front of a large fireplace. They laughed and chattered at one another.

Peter cleared his throat and smiled. "Um, Angeline...there is something I want to give you." He reached into his pocket.