Be My Christine ~ Chapter 9

The week after Christmas, a large staff of dancers, singers, and musicians arrived at the now cleaned and fixed up Opera Populaire. They had all received a tentative copy of the sheet music and had practiced over Christmas to perfect what was to come.

Angeline stood outside to greet them all. A smiled on her face, from ear to ear. "Hello! Greetings! Take the stairs to your right please. Hello! Thanks again for coming." She motioned to the people. It was a lot of work, but this was what she had asked for.

The Phantom sat in box five, watching as the ballet girls lined up and wandered around. He chuckled to himself. Memories came flooding back of when he use to scare ballet rats for fun. But with Angeline here, he would just let them go.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The director walked up to Angeline. "Mademoiselle, I do not mean to be a bother, but um...perhaps you could tell me the last piece of the opera we are performing?"

Angeline wrinkled her brow. "Monsieur? What do you mean by the last piece?"

"My dear, your manager did not give me the last performance from the opera. He made it clear over the phone that he would have it finished by the time we arrived." The director explained.

"Oh...well, I shall fetch him and ask, Monsieur." Angeline walked off toward the box seats. She counted each one in her head, just as she had done the night she had first visited the opera house.

Her hand pushed open the red velvet curtain slightly. "Phantom?" She asked softly.

A figure rustled and a face popped out from behind the chair. "Yes my dear?"

Angeline walked through the curtain and stood near the chair. "The director wishes to see the final piece of the sheet music."

"Ah! The final chapter." The Phantom sighed. "I need you to inform the monsieur that it is not finished."

Angeline stared at him. "Not finished? But the performance is in less than a week. How can you expect them to preform an opera that is not finished?" She asked.

The Phantom held up his hand. "My dear, I have done it once; and I can do it again."

Angeline grew silent.

"Angeline?" The Phantom whispered her name.

That was the first time he had used her name. It sent chills up her spine. "Yes?"

"I need you to do me a favor. I need you to be Christine." He said.

Angeline backed up a second. Where was this going? "I beg your pardon? I am not sure I understand what you mean."

The Phantom sighed and stood to his feet. "My dear, the opera is about...well it is about me in essence. Have you not read the script?"

Angeline looked at her feet. She had been spending time with Peter, as a matter of fact. "Well...no, I guess I haven't."

The Phantom scowled a little. This was for her, and she hadn't even read the script! He took a few breaths to calm down. "Okay, well here." He shoved a copy at her. "The opera is entitled, 'The Phantom of the Opera.' A short summary of my life here, and I need a Christine. Someone with close ties, perhaps?"

Angeline's eyes bulged. "Me! You want me to play Christine? That is insane! I can't sing like her; and I..."

The Phantom put a gloved finger to her lips. "Shhh...you will sing for me." His voice was mellow and soft.

Angeline nodded her head in a trance submission. She noticed the right side of the Phantom's face. It's deformities meant nothing anymore, but she wondered what he intended to do during the Masquerade.

The Phantom returned to his seat. "And Angeline, make sure you steady your voice. I don't want you to crock like a toad."

"Yes...sir." Angeline scowled a little at the thought that the Phantom thought he knew all about music. But she quickly stopped when she realized that he was music, itself.

She quickly hurried down the hall way to tell the director about the performance. He probably wasn't going to like the answer, but it had to be done.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After getting momentarily chewed out by the director, Angeline found a quiet place to pour over the script. It literally was a life story of the Phantom. All the stories Angeline's grandmother had told her, came to life.

"Keep your hand at the level of your eye." A sing-song voice called.

Angeline looked up from her script. The chorus girls must have been rehearsing. Just then a knock came from the door.

"Who is it?" Angeline asked.

"Meg, er...well Emily." Came a young girls voice.

Meg? Angeline got up and opened the door. A young girl, no more than sixteen stood in a cute pink tutu.

"My name is Emily. I am playing Meg's character!" She extended her hand warmly.

Angeline smiled and shook it. "Hi. I'm Angeline, and I guess I'm playing Christine."

Emily's eyes widened. "Who are you going to the Masquerade with?

Angeline chuckled a little. "As a matter of fact, I don't know. I was going to invite my boyfriend, but..."

"You're not going with the Phantom?" Emily interrupted Angeline's thoughts.

"Oh, well...I don't know. I guess I didn't think about that." Angeline looked at her feet.

Emily crossed her arms. "You have to go with the Phantom! It wouldn't be right if you didn't!"

Angeline smiled. "Okay, calm down. I'll...I'll see what he wants to do."

Emily smiled. "Good! Now excuse me. Mme. Gir...er Mrs. Attie is calling me." She ran off down the hall toward the stage.

Angeline closed the door and smiled to herself. Maybe she should ask the Phantom to the Masquerade? What about Peter thought? No, he wouldn't get within ten feet of the opera house, even if you paid him.

Maybe then she could give him the mask that she had been hiding.