Say You'll Stay with Me ~ Chapter 4

Angeline woke to the soft tinkle of a music box. Her eyes opened slightly to reveal a dark, translucent veil over head. Angeline sat up quickly as she realized she had fallen asleep in the Phantom's lair. Panic started to set in as she thought about how worried her grandmother would be.

Angeline jumped out of the swan bed and ran toward the door. She ran smack into the Phantom.

"Leaving so soon?" He asked. A hat covered his face, and he had snow on his shoulders. It seemed like he had been in town.

"Oh...sorry. I lost track of time...my grandma will be worried sick." Angeline tried to pass around him, but he grabbed her arm.

His head lowered a little. "About that..."

Angeline stiffened. "What? Did you do something to her? You beast! Let me go!" She kicked and punched at his muscular frame.

The Phantom straightened her arms so she couldn't move. He reached into his coat and produced a cream colored envelope. "This is for you." He replied.

Angeline loosened and snatched the letter. She opened it rapidly and nearly fell backwards with its contents.

Dear Angeline,

As you know, I have not been feeling well the past few years. It seems like my time has finally come. By this time, I hope that Erik has given my letter to you and will explain what has happened. I want you to behave yourself, and please I beg of you not to do anything drastic. I know you have always longed to go to the opera house, and I realize now that nothing will ever stop you from doing so. But I ask that you please be careful. There are things that can, and will, happen if you do not keep your temper square.

I love you Angeline, and I have always wanted the best for you. I wish I could place a guardian over you, but it seems you are to old for that. Maybe, perhaps you should stay with Erik. Please, be kind to him, and learn to love him for what his is. Not what he looks like my child. Practice your music and make him and I proud.

With Love, and Hope,

Grandma Meg

Tears began to stream down Angeline cheeks. The last words she had said to her grandmother were in an argument. Now she was gone forever, and Angeline could never take those words back.

The Phantom stood solemnly, his hands crossed at his waist. "She will be dearly missed. She gave that to me last night. I didn't open it...I felt that was your responsibility." His voice was hoarse, as if he had been crying, himself.

Angeline looked up at him. His crystal blue eye looked even more filled with pain and suffering. He had lost a friend too, and Angeline could sense it. She rushed over to him and buried her face in his chest. She began to sob, making her body tremble with each tear.

The Phantom pulled her close, embracing her love and emotions. A few tears ran down his cheeks as he tried to comfort her. 

"No more talk of darkness
Forget these wide-eyed fears
I'm here, nothing can harm you
My words will warm and calm you..."

Angeline looked up at him. Her face red and tear stained. "W-what is that song?" She sniffled.

"A song that broke my heart." The Phantom replied, still hugging her.

Angeline backed a little. "My grandma mentioned an Erik in her letter. Who is that? It sounds as if he was suppose to give me that letter."

The Phantom nodded his head. "Erik is...er was...a close friend of mine. He died a long time ago though. Your grandmother didn't realize that though." He looked of into the distance.

Angeline wiped her nose. One question still remained however. "So how is it that I am still here and not at home?" She asked.

The Phantom looked back at Angeline. "Ah yes! You seemed to be in a trance last night. The music can do that the new comers. So I placed you in my bed. It only seemed proper." He replied as he walked out of the bedroom.

Angeline followed quickly after him. "Wait! What am I suppose to do now?"

The Phantom shrugged. "You are eighteen. Legally you can take care of yourself."

Angeline hesitated. Sure she could take care of herself. But...why couldn't she just stay here. "Can't I stay with you?" She asked.

The Phantom stopped dead in his tracks. "H-here...with m-me?" Why would she want to stay with him?

"Yes...I mean if you wouldn't mind." She said shyly.

"I-I wouldn't mind...it's just..." He hesitated.

Angeline sighed. "I understand. You are afraid I will hurt you like Chri..."

"Don't say her name!" The Phantom held up his hand. He turned on his heals and faced Angeline. "Y-you may stay. But! You must not bother me...are we clear?"

Angeline nodded wildly. Something within her wanted to scream and jump for joy, but she knew that would make the Phantom change his mind. "Thank you." She said, keeping her feelings to herself. "I'll be as quiet as a church mouse. Promise!" She beamed at him.

He snorted. "That is what the ballet rats said."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Angeline began to wonder the halls of the opera house. It was a lovely place, even being rebuilt. The elegance of it all was enough to make a person want to stay.

Angeline's head was racing in a million directions. How was she to start a brand new life out of this dumpy old opera house? Maybe she could clean it up a little and get the Phantom to write some music. Then they could open it again! What a brilliant idea! Now if she could simply get this to work....

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Phantom sat at his organ, playing one somber note after the other. This new life, this girl, had brought some new inspiration as well. She was a curious little thing. Small framed and rather short tempered. Much like himself when he was younger. Her talent wasn't as sharp as his thought. It could always use some work.

He leaned away from the organ for a second and thought about Angeline. She had been devastated by the lose of her grandmother. Rightfully so, but why did she want to stay with him? It didn't register right in his brain.

"You like her! Just admit it!" A voice played with his head. "I most certainly do not! She is too young." He hissed back. 

Did he like her? No! She was too young....but Christine would have been that age too. The Phantom sighed and let his elbow rest on the keys of the organ, making an awful sound.

"Come to your Angel of Music." He murmured to himself. "I am your Angel of Music." He closed his eyes and let his mind drift away. All the while, with Angeline on his mind.