A Kiss and a Surprise ~ Chapter 7

Angeline awoke the next day screaming. She sat up quickly, her hands wrapped around her throat. Angeline took in a few gulps of air. She had had an awful, horrible dream. The Phantom had gotten upset at her and chocked her.

She had expected to see the Phantom walk in with her screaming fit. "P-phantom?" She mumbled through another gasp of air.

No answer, as usual.

Angeline got up and walked out if the bedroom. The Phantom was nowhere in sight. Angeline's heart began to race. What if he had gotten angry at her and left? What if he went to find Angeline's friend?

Angeline grabbed her jacket and shoes. She ran through one of the tunnels and out into the cold.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Angeline ran block after block, trying to find the Phantom.

"Angeline!" A voice called from behind. 

She turned around, in hopes to see the Phantom. "Pha...Peter?" Angeline said with regret.

Peter ran up to her. "Why so sad to see me?" He smirked.

Angeline blushed. "Oh...uh sorry. I thought you were someone else."

Peter shrugged. "It's okay. I don't actually have to work today! Who would have thought?"

"That's great!" Angeline smiled. "So..."

"So...you wanna hang out? I mean if you don't have anything else to do..." Peter scratched the back of his head.

"Uh..." Angeline was hesitant. Maybe she should look for the Phantom. No! He could take care of himself! Besides, she was old enough to do whatever she wanted without that stubborn man. "Sure! I would love to."

"Great!" Peter said.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Peter and Angeline walked though the parks of Paris, enjoying the scenery and each other. They discussed old memories and times in Rome. The snow had began to fall in a steady pace.

They finally came to rest on an old park bench over looking a nearby river. The river moved along with thick sheets of ice. The sun had gotten that pink, orange hue to it.

The wind was bitter. Peter scooted slightly closer to Angeline. She blushed a little.

"So um...Angeline...I was thinking about last night, and something about your story didn't make sense." Peter said.

Angeline raised an eyebrow. "What part?"

Peter turned to face her slightly. "Well, you said your grandma died, and your parents are gone...so if you don't mind me asking; where do you live?"

Angeline stared at him blankly for a second then began to laugh. "Oh! Well, I live in my grandma's house."

"Then why did you act all strange when I offered to take you home last night?" Peter countered.

Angeline bit her lip. Could she tell him the truth? No, it probably wouldn't be the right time. But...she did trust him... "Well, um...I don't know. It is kind of complicated I guess." She finally replied.

Peter nodded, and turned to face the river. He yawned and stretched his arm around the bench; intern putting it around Angeline.

Angeline blushed a little but didn't fight it.

"You know Angeline, I really enjoy talking to you." Peter smiled at her. "It feels like old times, where we can say anything to each other. You know?"

Angeline nodded. "Yeah. I...I like that too."

Peter smiled again.

It gave Angeline butterflies. He was handsome, and smart, and funny. Was she falling for him?

Suddenly, Peter moved forward and kissed Angeline lightly on the lips. He pulled away quickly and stood up.

"I...um...I gotta go!" He fumbled, running off into the streets of Paris.

Angeline opened her mouth, but closed it again. She had a pleasant smile on her face. Could it be; was she in love with Peter?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Angeline rushed back to the opera house, slipping silently through the back door. It seemed like she had done it a million times.

She ran through one of the tunnels and stopped short at the curtain. Angeline's nibble fingers, pulled it away gently. She peaked around; making sure the Phantom was not right in front of her. The coast was clear. Angeline tiptoed past the organ and toward the bedroom.

The bed was empty, which in itself raised Angeline's suspicions. She walked in and studied the room carefully. Her eye caught a a plain, white envelope on the bedside table. Angeline picked it up and opened it slowly.

Angeline,

I have been within the deepest parts of the opera house. I am sorry, if I alarmed you in any way. I have been arranging some things for a surprise for you. I can not tell you detail, but I promise it will be rewarding.

Yours truly,

O.G.

Angeline grinned a smile of relief. At least he hadn't done anything terribly drastic. For goodness sake, at least he hadn't gone after Peter!

She quickly stripped of her day clothes and put on her pajamas. Angeline slipped under the covers, and rested her head on the soft down pillow. Maybe the Phantom had good intentions. Maybe he just had a short temper. But what kind of surprise could he have been planning? Angeline's mind thought over and over the possibilities until she fell into a deep, peaceful sleep.