Chapter 42: Majarlika

Majarlika De Luna

Majarlika watched as she heard Grale heaved another deep breath, eyes still concentrated on their clasped fingers. Nakaupo ito sa bangko na nasa tabi lang ng kanyang kama. His thumb gently stroked the back of her palm. 

Today is her scheduled day for Myocardial Biopsy. Tahimik lamang silang dalawa no Grale habang naghihintay ng oras para sa schedule niya. Lumabas saglit ang mga magulang niya para bumili ng pagkain habang nagpapalipas ng oras.

Today was a promise fulfilled for her parents. Kung si Majarlika ang mag dedesisyon ayaw niya nang magpa-admit ulit. She doesn't even want to step a foot inside any hospital again if she was to decide. 

But she knew very well that once her mother steps in, it's done for her—and obviously that was what she did.

Evangeline De Luna, her mother, has the greatest influence in her life. Ito ang role model ni Majarlika halos sa lahat ng bagay. She's the one who influenced her to paint, to take Architecture, her love for reading, and going to beaches. 

She is her mother's creature after all.

Isang matunog na buntong hininga muli ang pinakawalan ni Grale bago nilapit ang magkahawak nilang kamay sa labi nito upang dampian ng isang halik ang likod ng kanyang palad.

"You'll be fine, baby. You'll be fine. After this we will do everything that you want," he chanted. 

Majarlika chuckled. "Bakit parang ikaw pa yung kabado? It's just a biopsy, Grale."

"Baby, it's not just a biopsy—it's a fucking biopsy. Doctor Venson told me they will insert something inside you to get a little portion of tissue in your heart," he sighed. "Of course I'm anxious as hell. But you'll be fine. Once we know the real situation of your heart, we'll know our next move."

May kumirot sa dibdib ni Majarlika sa determinasyon sa boses ng nobyo. Hindi pa rin siya pinapakinggan ni Grale tungkol sa gusto talaga niyang mangyari. At mukhang naging kakampi pa nito ang kanyang daddy para kumbinsihin siyang mag undergo ng treatment ulit.

"Gusto mo bang malaman kung anong klaseng proseso ng biopsy na gagawin sa akin, Grale?" She asked.

His eyes moved up to her. He nodded his head as he dipped another kiss on her back palm.

"Before the procedure, they will have to inject me with some sedatives pero kailangan gising pa rin ako the whole process so then I'm able to follow some instructions during the test," she licked her lips. "And then they will cut me open, here," she pointed to an area close enough to her neck. "Syempre may anaesthesia naman 'yon. Pagkatapos, ipapasok na nila yung catheter either sa artery or sa vein ko depende kung saang parte ng puso ko sila kukuha ng sample tissue. More or less isang oras din yung buong proseso," she shrugged.

Nakakunot ang noo ni Grale habang taimtim itong nakikinig sa kanya. Majarlika couldn't help but chuckle and ran a finger through his hair that seemed left uncut for quite some time now. 

"Bakit ka naman ganyan makatingin?" She asked, chuckling.

"You fucking narrate the process so calm as if you're not the one who will be doing it, Maj. Now I'm scared," he sighed.

"Ilang beses ko na itong pinagdaanan, Grale. Pagkatapos ng transplant ko noon, halos linggo-linggo ko 'tong ginagawa and then naging kada-buwan, and then kada taon. I was actually already scheduled to meet with Doctor Venson for my Biopsy this new year. Nauna lang ng very slight," mahinang tawa ni Majarlika.

He subtly glared at her. "Don't laugh at me, Maj. Nothing about this whole situation is funny. Fuck I think I'm about to piss on my pants right now or start a fucking hysteria or maybe both because shit you're awake the whole time? Damn."