39

22 Days After

I hear rapid, tiny footsteps outside the door, and I get out of bed. Once I get dressed, I walk downstairs to see Pepper and Morgan eating breakfast. 

"Look who's awake." Pepper tells Morgan, and she looks up from her oatmeal, and smiles broadly, and runs towards me. I scoop her up, hugging her tightly, and setting her back down. 

"Hi squirt." I greet her, and she doesn't let go of my hand, and leads me to the table. Pepper slides me a mug of coffee, and I smile at her. 

"Honey, why don't you go play in your room for a little bit so I can talk to Aunt Nina." Pepper suggests, and Morgan nods, leaving us alone. We wait for Morgan's footsteps stop moving, and I follow Pepper into the other room where Tony's table is set up. 

"I know you're probably confused, but this is going to help you." Pepper explains, and sets up the hologram, when a video of myself pops up. She pats my shoulder before leaving me alone, and I sit down, starting the video. 

"Hi future me, this is past you from a few days ago. There's a lot of shit going on, and it'll make sense soon. But, you are to not contact anyone at the compound until the plan is set to go. There's a letter on the table behind you, read it. I know you're not going to want to read it, but lives are at stake, and it's time to read it. Afterwards, if you still want to be a ghost, then you deserve it. But, you have people who love you, and the most perfect man that loves you, and a chance at happiness. Good luck future me." The video ends, and I turn around seeing an envelope on the table, and I pick it up. 

It's Nat's letter to me. The letter I never read, and still to this day, am scared to read. I take a deep breath, and open the envelope. The envelope is a little worn out, from being tucked away in different places, but the paper is completely clean. Just seeing her handwriting made me lose a breath. 

Mladshaya sestra (little sister), 

If you're reading this letter then, I'm probably gone. I've written this letter at least 3 times, and still feel like I can't find the words to say that I'm sorry. I'm sorry I never went back for you and Yelena. It's my biggest regret. I will forever be grateful that our lives brought us back together, being your sister again has been my biggest accomplishment. I'm doing this mission for you and Yelena, and this is something I will never regret. I know you, and know you will feel guilty but don't. I am so proud to be your big sister, and you and Yelena better not kill each other. 

Get out there and take your life back. Build a life, and it wouldn't be so bad if you built it with someone. 

I love you always sestra,

Natasha

After I finished the letter, I closed it and put it back into the envelope, watching a tear drop fall onto the paper. I smile reading her words, and feel so much weight lifted off of me. Suddenly, I feel a rush and all the memories come back. It's something that I've gotten used to since the accident. It feels like the wind just got knocked out of me.

"Fucking Sharon." I mumble to myself, and see Pepper walk back into the room. 

"Let's pin that bitch, shall we?" Pepper asks, and I smirk at her. 

She hands me a flash drive, and I immediately remember it was the one I had sent to Pepper for this exact reason. I take it from her and plug it into Tony's system, putting in my encrypted password and tons of files start popping up. Dirt on Sharon, plans of Clint's house, the plans for the Avengers for the next couple of weeks, and the last file that pops up is labeled, "PLANS FOR THE BITCH." I laugh to myself and open up the file. 

After a few hours of going through the files, and getting the last few things in order, Morgan drags me off outside to check out the trampoline that I got her. 

"Come on squirt, let's get a snack." I insist, and she claps her hands.

"Freeze pop?" Morgan asks, and I chuckle. 

"Yes, a freeze pop sounds perfect." I reply, and she runs inside. 

Once Morgan finally falls asleep on the couch, I slowly get up and head back to Tony's tech. Sending an encrypted message to Bucky and Yelena. 

"This has to work." I whisper, and Pepper joins me quietly. 

"It will." Pepper comforts me, and I sigh. 

Within a few minutes, I get a message back from Bucky. 

Widows in position, 5 mercenaries. Waiting for your arrival. 

I sigh again, but out of relief. Pepper goes off to bed, taking Morgan with her, and I stay up a few more hours thinking about Steve. I feel so guilty that he thinks I'm dead, and then I wonder what he's doing to feel better. Is he with Sharon? I know he wouldn't though, it's only been a few days. But, I know first hand grief can make you do crazy things. 

I go back and forth from trying to hack into the compound cameras, and then decide to do it. I flip through the cameras, and stop when I see Sharon and Steve walking into the compound. It's late, what the hell were they doing? I turn off the computer, before I saw something I didn't want to see. 

Instead, I go upstairs and try to rest before tomorrow, but see Morgan awake again waiting outside my room. 

"What are you doing awake bug?" I ask, and she shrugs her shoulders. I tilt my head at her, putting out my hand, and she puts her tiny one in mine. Once we reach her room, she slides into bed, and I take a seat on a tiny chair, pulling it up to the edge of the bed. 

"Will you tell me a story?" She begs, and I scrunch my nose at her. 

"Fine, what kind of story do you want to hear?" I ask, and she puts a big smile back on her face. 

"One of daddy." Morgan answers, and I smile at her, and think. 

"You know how when you got sad, your daddy snuck you a freeze pop?" I bring up, and Morgan chuckles, and laughs. 

"One time when I was sad about Auntie Nat, your daddy took me on a drive, and we ended up going to get ice cream. We talked for hours, and it was one of my favorite days with your dad." I explain, and she smiles. 

"The end. Now go to sleep sweetie." I add, and I stand back up, pulling the covers up on her little body some more, and kiss her forehead. Once she closes her eyes, I sneak out of her room, shutting the door and go into the guest room.