24

1 Day After

Overlooking POV

Steve has been in distraught and stress since the accident. When Steve left that mark at the red light, a car was running the red light, colliding their car with Steve's. Straight onto Nina's side. Completely bending in the passenger door, Nina's head whipping towards Steve and back onto the window beside her, shattering the glass. Steve waking up to seeing his new, profound love with shards of glass in her face, metal pierced into her side, and blood dripping everywhere. 

Luckily, with the help of bystanders, police and ambulance were at the scene within minutes. It took time to get Nina out of the car safely, minutes that took out of the time that could have been spent saving her life. 

Steve getting checked out in the ambulance by one EMT, while the other was trying to keep Nina alive beside him. When reaching the hospital, she was rushed to emergency surgery, while Steve was left in the dark because he wasn't legally family. Blood all over his hands, but not his own, it was Nina's from trying to wake her up, shaking her continuously. 

The first thing he thought of consciously, was to call Bruce. To get her transferred to the compound to have the best medical team that she could possibly get. 

"Steve, slow down. What happened?" Bruce asks worriedly over the phone. 

"We- we got in an accident. Nina's in surgery, they won't tell me anything. You have to get down here." Steve begs, and it was the first time he wasn't doing well under pressure, feeling so much panic, feeling scared that he might lose the person he just gained.  

Steve spent the next hour pacing back and forth in the lobby. Begging the nurses at the front desk to tell him anything, to tell him Nina was going to be okay, but they couldn't. Soon Bruce arrives, trying to calm down his friend, then quick to yell at the front desk at his clearance, to release any information they could gather. The nurses pull Bruce to a room, and Steve glances through the small window, trying to make out the words the nurse was informing Bruce, and he watches Bruce drop his head in his hands, and that's when Steve's heart drops. The nurse and Bruce exit the room, and Steve tries to talk to him, but Bruce isn't having it, he has to go back with the nurse to start the transfer process, to even see if his friend is still alive. 

 "Bruce! Please, is she okay? Tell me she's okay." Steve begs, but Bruce pushes past him. 

"Not now Steve!" Bruce shouts back, following the nurse getting a grip on his anger, and being so nervous of what he's about to see. 

Hours pass for Steve, alone, and scared. The only thing he was holding onto was that since so much time was passing by that Nina would still be alive, fighting for her life on the surgical table.  When Bruce finally came out from the back, Steve jumps up his seat. 

"Bruce, is she okay?" Steve asks, and Bruce sighs. 

"Just shut up, and get in the car. You've caused enough of a scene here." Bruce demands, and Steve complies quietly. 

They spent that morning calling everyone, hearing the same tone of concern each time. Steve was the one who offered to call Yelena, scared to hear the voice of the intimidating, stubborn sister of Nina's. 

"Steve Rogers, to what do I owe this pleasure?" Yelena asks playfully, and Steve takes a deep breath.

"Yelena, your sister has been in an accident. How fast can you get to New York?" Steve informs her, and the line ends as soon as his words stop. 

As soon as Bucky and Sam saw Bruce and some agents roll Nina in on a stretcher, they lost their breath, asking as many questions to Steve as they could to understand. Clint was the first one to arrive at the compound, breaking all hell loose on Steve, shouting, breaking things, then eventually calming down for Nina's sake. 

Dr. Cho arrived as soon as she could at Bruce's request, and attends to all of Nina's medical needs. After a few hours, she comes out, leaving her nurses with Nina, setting up her recovery room. Everyone stands when they see Dr. Cho come out, and waits for an answer. 

"She's going to be okay." Dr. Cho begins, and everyone releases a breath of relief. 

"It's going to be a long recovery, but she's strong. She'll heal." She adds, and Bruce takes a step towards her.

"How severe are her injuries?" Bruce asks, and Dr. Cho sighs at his friend. 

"She suffered through a pierced lung, multiple lacerations from the shattered glass, a dislocated shoulder, and a grade 3 concussion." Dr. Cho answers, and Steve drops back into the chair, Bucky trying to comfort him by putting his hand on his shoulder. 

"We were able to close up the cuts beautifully, and luckily the surgeons at the hospital were able to save her lung." She adds, and Bruce nods, shaking his friend's hand thanking her. 

"Can we see her?" Clint asks, not for himself, but for everyone. 

"You can, but let me be clear. I'm unsure when she'll wake up, and how much she'll remember." Dr. Cho mentions, and Steve stands back up at her words. 

"Wait, are you saying she won't remember anything?" Steve asks, and Dr. Cho sighs again. 

"There's a possibility that she'll have a moment of memory loss, but we won't know for sure how severe until she wakes up." She answers, and they all nod. 

"Thank you." Bucky speaks up for Steve, and she nods before retreating with Bruce to talk about Nina's medical plan. 

Steve, Clint and Bucky take the first turn watching after Nina, sitting in silence. Praying for their friend, their family, their love to wake up. Next, Wanda and Vision arrive, and Bruce explains them the situation. Wanda offers to try to get into Nina's head, to see if there's anything they can find out about her consciousness but Bucky is quick to shut her down. The one thing Bucky and Nina have majorly in common is they've had their minds messed with and controlled once, they won't let that happen again. Then, comes the last and final storm, Yelena. 

"Where the hell is my sister?" Yelena spits through her teeth, asking her crowd, and Clint comes out of Nina's room to the recognition of the angry voice. 

"Yelena." Clint says sternly, and Yelena pushes past everyone, following Clint into Nina's room, Clint shutting the door behind her, and everyone watches through the glass. Yelena takes a good look at her unconscious, scarred sister, and balls up her fists.