28

9 Days After

"I-I'm so sorry. Nat's gone." Clint honestly answers. I can hear his muffled breathing, trying to hide his cries.

"I-I don't understand. What do you mean she's gone?" I counteract, somehow staying calm over the phone.

"It's a long story, which I'll explain to you once this is over." Clint explains sharply.

I wake up, with sweat all over my forehead, and back. Trying to catch my breath, and I feel Steve's arm wrapped around my waist still. I take a deep breath, and slowly take his arm off of me, sneaking out of bed into the bathroom. I cover my mouth with both of my hands, covering the sound of my cries, unsure if I was dreaming, or remembering. Either way, it was hell. 

I splash water onto my face, and freshen up a bit, sneaking back out into my room and grabbing clothes to change into, and slipping out of my apartment. I begin to walk down the sidewalk, unsure where I was headed to, but I spot a coffee shop, and decide to go in. 

"Morning." I start, and the person behind the counter turns around and smiles at me as if she recognizes me. 

"Hi sweetie, it's been a while. Busy with work?" She asks, and I nod. 

"Yeah, something like that." I answer, and she smiles again. 

"Your usual?" 

"Yeah, that would be perfect actually." I agree, and she turns to make the order but stops herself. 

"Steve's too?" She asks, and I nod. Damn, does everyone know we're together? I throw down a few bills on the counter, and take the coffees, and start walking back. The wind is a little strong, but I don't mind it. When I reach the apartment, I open the door, luckily I left it unlocked. 

"Jesus Nina, where the hell have you been?" Steve asks me loudly, and I set down the coffees on the entrance table. 

"I went on a walk." I answer, and he sassily puts his hands on his hips. 

"I called you like 10 times." 

"I forgot my phone. Sorry." I apologize, and he sighs. 

"I was just worried. You don't remember the area, I didn't know where you were." He lets out, and I can see that he was genuinely concerned. 

"I brought you coffee." I mention, handing him a cup, and he lets out a breath, taking it from me. "It's from up the street." I add, and he smiles, looking at the order sticker on the cup.

"Greta's. It's our favorite place." He mentions, and I smile. 

"Well, you ready to go?" I ask, and he nods, he grabs his jacket and we head out the door to the compound. 

Again with another silent car ride, and I throw the sling back on so I don't hear any shit from Bruce and Clint, even though I've dislocated my shoulder more times than I can count. I step out of the elevator first, walking towards the medical wing, where everyone was waiting for us. I see Sam throw Steve a smile, and I sit on the bed. 

"Test away Brucey." I joke, and he rolls his eyes, taking my blood, doing more scans, checking my wounds, and testing my range of motion with my arm. 

"She's clear." Bruce announces, and I wink at Clint, and he scoffs. 

"Alright, get out of here." Clint comments, and I jump out of bed, walking out with Yelena to the training room. 

Sparring for at least an hour and a half, and I'm close to out of breath. Yelena pins my healing arm down, and I wince, and I tap. Yelena gets off of me, and helps me up. 

"Your body remembers the new moves I showed you." I hear from the door, and I turn to see Bucky leaning against the doorway. 

"You enjoy watching me Barnes?" I tease, and he rolls his eyes, walking towards us with water bottles.

"Relax with the flirting, you're a taken woman remember." He mentions, and I purse my lips, nodding. 

"Right." I comment.

"Maybe next time, I'll be all yours." I see myself whispering into Steve's ear. And I blink again, to be brought back into reality.

"Nina?" I shake my head, and see Yelena and Bucky in front of me, with eyebrows furrowed. 

"You alright?" Bucky asks, and I nod. 

"Yeah, just tired of hearing both of your voices." I lie, and they both roll their eyes, walking away from me. 

Now I'm getting these memories or dreams while I'm awake. I shouldn't say anything, it's just going to worry everyone. I wipe the sweat off of my forehead, and walk out of the training room, hitting someone with the door.

"Shit. Sorry." I blurt out, and it's Steve. He catches the door, and smiles at me. 

"If you didn't want to go back to the city with me, you could have just said so." Steve teases me, and I push him lightly. 

"I've got to meet with Clint, but afterwards we can head home. I mean your home." He adds, and I nod, watching him walk past me. 

"Steve?" I say, and he turns around. 

"Yeah?" 

"You're okay with us being friends right? See how things go?" I ask, and he weakly smiles at me. 

"Yeah, of course." He answers, but I can hear the pain in his voice. I ignore it, and head to sit down in the lounge, while I wait for Steve. 

After a short while, Steve finds me, and I follow him out into the car. I wipe the sweat off of my arm, and notice a scar.

"Whoever stitched that up, did a shit job." I mumble, and Steve laughs. 

"Hey, it's not that bad is it?" Steve asks, and I turn to him.

"You stitched me up?" I ask baffled, and he nods.

"You got shot saving a girl in an alley, and came over to my place. I stitched you up the best I could." Steve explains, and I nod. 

"Well, I guess you're just apart of me now Cap." I tease, and I see him smile. 

I jump straight into the shower when we get back, and join Steve on the couch, where he's looking through files. 

"Next mission?" I ask, and he nods, flipping through the pages. 

"You recognize any of these men?" He asks, and I lean towards him more, looking at the photos, and look up at him, and shake my head. Our faces so close, the closest that I can remember being. He looks back down and clears his throat. 

"Should I?" I add.

"You did a mission out in Paris, infiltrated their warehouse, collecting data." Steve answers, and I shrug my shoulders. 

"Oh." I comment, and he looks up at me. 

"Well they're in the States, causing trouble, and we're gonna see what they're up to." 

"Great, when do we go?" I ask, and Steve shakes his head. 

"Oh no, I know that look. You're not coming with." I drop my jaw, and cross my arms. 

"Come on, I'm fine. I got cleared today, remember?" I raise my eyebrows at him, and he sighs in defeat. 

"I'll talk to Clint." He gives in, and I smile. 

"Have we ever gone on a mission together?" Steve shakes his head, and I place my hand on his shoulder. 

"This is going to be fun then." I comment, and he laughs, shaking his head.