Prologue

Candace DiMartino was the clear definition of a deadly sin. Greed. She wanted everything in the world and more. She wanted the richest husband, the best clothes and the most attention.

And even when she had that it was not enough. She wanted more, needed more.

Then came the moment she had an epiphany.

The women that always had more attention than her, were those with children. Not knowing that the attention would go to the child and not the mother, she tried and got pregnant. She loved being waited on hand and feet for everything. Until the child was born. She got the attention of her child as she was its mother, but the being waited on, the attention of the world, went away from her.

So she got pregnant again. And again and again.

The children growing up automatically gave her the attention she wanted, she needed, and was basking in this world that revolved around her.

That was until she got pregnant yet again. This time it would not be a boy, but a girl.

What she didn't know at the time, was that all the attention in the household would shift to a new owner, or that she created it.

A carbon copy of herself.

The months leading up to the birth was heaven for Candace. All her boys wanted to come along with their mother to say hi to their little sister. Sonograms were the highlight for the boys, because they could actually see their sister grow, from a little bean to a full grown human baby. And ofcourse the rubbing of their mothers stomach was amazing for them. Candace loved the attention she thought she was given, when in fact the attention was no longer on their mother, but on their sister in their mother's body.

It was may 14th when Candace started having contractions and was rushed to the hospital.

After hours of labour, Adaline Valentina DiMartino was born. She looked just like her mother as a baby. Blond fur littering the top of her head and blue-ish colored eyes. She was cleaned, weighed and put in the nursery afterwards. All the boys hustled around their brand new little sister like moths to a flame. Even Candace's husband couldn't wait and went to meet his little ball of sunshine, leaving Candace alone to rest. But she did not see it as that. She immediately had the feeling of being replaced. Replaced by a girl that was not even an hour old. She immediately felt anger bubble up in her mind. But before she could do anything her stomach was contracting, again.

What no one had told the family was that Candace was not carrying one child but two.

After a few minutes, baby number 2 was born. Candace did not want to name her and asked the nurses to do so, telling them she could not come up with a fitting name. So the nurses suggested Adelaide. 

Adelaide Aurora DiMartino.

Even though they were twins, they were fraternal. Adelaide shared almost nothing of her mother and sister, but more like her father. Darker fur littered her head and her eyes were not blue. The moment Adelaide opened her eyes you could see the rare heterochromia in full effect. One deep emerald, the other a crystal blue . But just like her sister she was born healthy and placed close to her sister in the nursery. Ricardo was informed of the fact that he now had two daughters, but his brain did not register it. And in the end, had not even looked at his other daughter. No one did. But Noah.

The oldest of the boys at age 10 heard the nurse very clearly and when he saw that no one would go see her, he did.

He looked at her and saw a little bundle of happiness waiting to be held and asked the male nurse if he could put his little sister in his arms.

While Noah had Adelaide in his arms, she opened her eyes and he understood why her middle name was Aurora. The change of colours in her eyes reminded him of the northern lights he once read about and saw pictures of. He instantly fell more in love with Adelaide then with Adaline and promised to be the best big brother in the world.

Candace saw how her family was huddled around Adaline and was furious. That little girl would take away everything she had worked so hard for. Everything she did not want to share. But seeing as everyone was close to the baby, she could not exact out revenge over the years, she already knew they would be even more attentive to her when she'd grown. Looking to the other side, only Noah was with Adelaide. Candace started to smile. Yes, she would be perfect for her frustrations.

This was the day that Candace's Bipolar and schizophrenic tendency accumulated ten fold and would only become worse over the years.

The two girls grew up. One was always extremely happy, but the other was not.

Adelaide did not care for the attention of her family. She had Noah and that was all she ever needed. Noah was her big brother and her best friend. While everyone always played with each other and Adaline. Adelaide would always follow Noah around the house, no matter what he did. Whether he was studying for school, gaming or playing games with her, just being in his presence she felt content. She never dared to be alone with her mother, so when everyone was away from home, she would try to hide. But as soon as the boys came home, she would sport the biggest smile, because she would get a big hug from her knight, her protector, her Noah.

Adaline on the other hand, pretended to be happy, but was always angry on the inside. She wanted Noah's attention too. He was her brother. He was hers. She hated that her sister got his attention. She didn't care that her other brothers were constantly with her. She wanted Noah. She wanted everyone and everything. She was just like her mother. And proceeded to do bad things that she would always blame Adelaide for.

Adaline needed professional help, but no one saw this, no one knew this. No one but Adelaide as she was on the receiving end.

Adaline was not the only one who would put her frustrations out on Adelaide. Candace could not harm Adaline, because everyone would immediately know. But Adelaide. No one cared for Adelaide as much as they did for Adaline.

Adelaide would be on the receiving end of her mothers verbal abuse. No one ever knew just how much Candace broke Adelaide from the age of two till the age of five.

Adelaide would go to sleep at night crying. She would usually end up in Noah's bed, where he always cuddled with her. He was the one who showed her care, who showered her with love and affection. And as long as she had that, she knew deep down she would persevere.

Until she was five.

The most joyous day in Adelaide's life came when she was five. Her mother who had been secretly seeking attention elsewhere was caught. She was caught cheating. Ricardo's heart broke. The woman he loved so dearly never truly loved him at all. He divorced her and got custody of all their children, leaving Candace with nothing but a small pay out.

Adelaide thought that her life would finally be perfect. No more mother, no more verbal abuse, no more nightmares or crying sessions in her room. Adelaide was no longer happy, but overjoyed.

Alas, nothing lasts forever.

Thank you for reading the first chapter. Please comment, so I know what you think. Stick around for more!!

Love Sarah