27

Tomorrow was the singing competition, all week I've practiced, and practiced. Now all that was left was my outfit. I asked my mom to come with me to buy it. When she found out about the competition, she was happy, she agreed to come, and today as I needed an outfit, she was glad to help me out.

"What are you looking for?" She asks.

I look around the shop. "Something me, but not me."

She smiles. "Not confusing at all."

I spot a dress, blue, puffy, but then I see buttons and I walked away. I followed my mom to the pants section. We went through a variety of pants that I would never consider wearing. I guess my mom saw it all over my face since she says "You know there's a shop that sells vintage clothes here, right?"

I look at her now. "Take me."

And she did. The shop had red walls, purple hangers, and racks. It was like a carnival but for girls in the nineties. My mom swayed to the music, and she smiles at me. I laugh and shake my head as I make my way further in. A woman with dark purple hair and like five piercings on her face approaches me. Man, I remember how I started off wanting to look unapproachable, and here I was. "Can I help you?"

"You can, is there anything that says look at me?" She smirks and gestures for me to follow her. I follow her and glance over my shoulder to see my mom checking out some shoes. The girl leads me to the back, where there was a variety of dresses and skirts. They looked crazy, bold, outspoken. It was exactly what I needed. "This is it."

"Let me know if you need my help." I smile at her and then walk up to the first dress that caught my eyes. It was dark purple, jean fabric, it had a belt, a chain, and it was sleeveless, the bottom had a puff, white and purple. It was an overall dress with a puff, who made this thing, I was in love. I grabbed my size. "Nice choice."

"I need a long sleeve shirt." She leads me to the shirt section. There were so many choices to choose from. I grab a black vintage shirt sweater that had a weird design on the center. "How's this?"

I hold up the shirt beside the dress. "Maybe try white." I nod and put the shirt back. Mom stands beside me now and holds up a white long sleep shirt with a small ruffle on the sleeve. "That's the one."

I take it and smile at my mom. "Thanks," I turn to the girl. "Can I try it on?" She nods, and we follow her in to where the fitting rooms were. She gave me a wooden square as I gave her my bag and my mom waited with her as I went into a fitting room.

When I had the clothes on, I twirled, with a smile I walked out and twirled again for the two of them, but mostly my mom. "So?"

"That's the outfit." My mom says. And I smiled at her before I entered the fitting room again. That day, I paid, and we sat in the food court to eat. Before we left my mom turned to me and said "Your dad would be so proud."