12

"That was crazy!" Riley said walking into my room that night. I was laying down, already studying for a test that we had for history next week. I know that today's Thursday and I have like six days before it happens. But I want to leave high school, and besides, before my dad passed away I promised him that I won't ever change how I care about school for anyone. If doing my homework made me a loser, I didn't care. At least my ass won't be here next year.

I look up. "What was?"

She smiled so wide, of course, I knew what she meant. But I told her that I was going home, so I wasn't supposed to be there. Therefore, I got home before her, and now I was going to have to act surprised.

"The talent show," she says as she sits on my bed. "There was a girl, named MX, and she blew everyone away. I wish you were there, but I do not doubt that you'll see it on social media or something."

I sit up now, for one I was glad she had no idea it was me, and two I want to know what she thought. I smiled at her, interested now.

"What happened?"

"Oh my god, so this girl comes on stage, and she sings this beautiful love song about falling for a guy after she's moved on from another one, and guess what?"

She bounces on the bed with excitement flowing through her.

"What?"

She smiles widely. "She had a fucking mask on, so now everyone is freaking out about who she is."

I open my eyes wide, attempting my best surprised facial expression. "Really?" Although, I was surprised. I didn't expect people to care who hid behind the mask.

She pulls out her phone, and I watch as she flicks it on. Then she presses her screen a few times before she shifts on the bed so I can see the screen. Her thumb swipes down the comments of a video of me on stage.

"Look at these comments, they never stop, and everyone is just blowing it up about her. And making guesses."

I look up at her now.

"Who do you think it is?"

She looks at me. "I have no idea, but I can't wait to meet her." She smiles and glances down at her phone. "She's a legend."