10

The day before the talent show, I stayed in the library during lunch and I got a text. I was contemplating whether or not I should stop reading to check my phone, but I ended up cutting the debate short when I got another text on top of that one.

It was my sister.

Riley: Are you okay?

Riley: Olly?

I looked around the room, thinking about what possible reason she had to ask me this? Did I look sad all day, did I say something? Or was this about the day we had the boys over?

Me: Yeah, why?

I placed the phone down and grabbed my book. A second later, my phone buzzes. That was quick.

Riley: I don't know, I feel like you've been acting weird around Nate, did he do something?

And there it was, the question I was waiting for, not literally, but I was expecting her to ask eventually. It was obvious that she was thinking about it since that day I offered to get the pizza for her.

Did Brody notice too? Hopefully, he didn't think that I liked his friend or something because that was no longer the case.

Me: I don't like talking to your friends, plus you know I'm not a people person.

I put my phone down, and I didn't even bother picking my book up. My sister was a fast typer. My phone buzzes once again.

Riley: He told me that he thinks that you don't like him. Since he's my boyfriend, I expected the two of you to get along.

Boyfriend? When did that happen? I was so caught up with practicing for the talent show, helping Rosan, and spending time with Brody to even notice that they were a couple. Of course, I avoided mentioning any of this to her.

Me: It'll take some time, please respect that, and tell him I have nothing against him, he already asked me that when he came over. Patience people.

This time I was sure she won't text back, but not even a second passed by before her next text came in.

Riley: He did?

Me: Yes, now can I read in peace?

I put my phone down and proceed to read. I was surprised when she left me to read in peace. A sister who understands is a sister you need. Or maybe she feels weird about what I just told her. Hopefully, she doesn't read too much into it.

When I got home that night, Brody dropped me off, and when I got to my room. Riley came in after me and laid down on my bed. I dropped my bag to the ground and joined her.

"I'm so fucking tired." She looks at me.

"What have you been doing?" She asks. "You come home so late, is it Brody?"

I grab my pillow and hit her with it. She laughs. "No, we aren't even together yet."

"But you want to be?"

I nod, then I shrug. "I don't know."

"He'll ask you out, just as you be saying, patience." I nod, knowing what she's saying is true. After all, it was my advice. "But really what have you been doing? I miss you." She gives me a frown.

"Helping Rosan, Andrew is not in any good condition to keep running the shop." She nods.

"Damn, I hope they're all right." I nod. "So, um I spoke to Nate." Here we go, I knew this moment was coming sometime today.

"And?" I hopped off my bed, and take my sweater off, and my flannel, I step out of my shoes.

"He told me that he just wants to have a good relationship with my family, mom seems to like him." I nod and sit on the end of my bed.

"That's good," I say. "I love you, but can you get out, I want to shower."

She puts her hands up in surrender and gets off my bed. "Fine, but promise me that you'll try."

"I promise."