4

"Excuse me?"

Anonymous: A person not identified by name; of an unknown name. This is what I told Ms. Dian. I asked her if I could sign in as anonymous, and this was her response.

"No." She said matter-of-factly. We were in her office, and I decided two days after I'd gotten the masks to come and sign up for the school talent show.

"But I don't want anyone to know it's me, so how could I do that?" I flip my ponytail over my shoulder. She sighs, licks her lips, and then nods.

"Okay, you can't write anonymous, but you can come up with some sort of nickname, one no one knows, and that way while I know who's on stage no one else would, deal?" I thought about it, a nickname? That could work, what would be my nickname? Ol? No. Lo? No. My last name, Collons? No.

"How do you plan to be anonymous?" She asks me now, I look up at her.

"I'm wearing a mask." She nods.

"Okay, so why don't you base your nickname on your mask?" Um, okay, how about mask-ie? No. Um, mask, what rhymes with the word mask? No, let's see. Then that's when I figured it out.

"MX." She smiles and nods. I chose that because if you tried to pronounce MX, it sort of sounds like you're saying mask. You're saying it now aren't you? She writes down my name and gives me a ticket. "Thanks."

"Good luck, your secret is safe with me." I nod. "Have a good day."

"Thanks." When I leave her room, and her door closes from behind me, I put the ticket in my backpack. I take a deep breath, and then let it out. Now I could focus on my song. Something told me that this was going to change my life.