Chapter 20: Won't Leave Your Side

Once everyone got to the village, the horsetaurs got everyone in the large medical tent and starts working. Some of the centaurs had small injuries, some had broken limbs, and some had cuts and bruises, but that didn't stop the horsetaurs from helping. Elk was taken to a tent as he was treated, having a broken back leg, getting some stitches and had his scratched eye bandaged. Adalie was unconscious when they got back so she was put on a resting bed, bandaged up and had a small successful surgery for where the spear was, and was resting on a bed. It was mostly quiet as everyone was being treated for their injuries and the sun was beginning to set for the day. Horse walks around, checking up on everyone and goes to the centaur shaman, "So... how is everyone holding up for now?" The shaman nods, "We have enough supplies. We will let you know if more is needed. And yes, Adalie is alright, she is going to be okay. You should also rest as well." Horse nods and goes to Rider and rests, the village taking care of their patients.

Elk opens his eyes, and he sits up in his bed, coughing, and he looks around, "A-Adalie?" He gets up, wobbling a bit, and he grips onto the bed frame for balance, and he starts walking out the tent and sees Adalie laying in her own bed and he limps over to her, panting, trying not to get caught. He winces and manages to reach her, and he lays down, laying his arms and resting his head on her bed, looking at her. He sees her breathing and he holds her hand gently, happy that she is alive, and closes his eyes, resting next to her. After a while, someone shakes his shoulder and he snaps his eyes open and looks at one of the centaur nurses, and she tries to help him stand, "You shouldn't be on that leg." He pulls his arm back, "I'm not leaving her side! I won't!" He stays in place, growling softly and the nurse walks away, and he felt his eyes water, and hears more hoof steps and he growls, "I said I'm not moving!" He snaps around and gasps when he sees the centaur shaman standing in front of him and he gulps.

She holds her hand, "Here." He hesitates and she gives him a look, and he takes her hand, and she helps him stand and sits him down on a bed next to Adalie. She smiles sweetly, "I'm sure Adalie would not want you to hurt yourself more..." She touches his cheek and has him lay down and covers him with the blanket, "Rest." She walks away and the nurses check his leg to see if it worsened, but it was fine. They let him rest and Elk looks at Adalie and his eyes water, before closing them to sleep. After a few hours, Elk's eyes snap open and he sits up, panting, the night sky fills the land, and then he feels something touch his arm and he looks beside him and sees Adalie awake, smiling. He pants, smiling and joyful tears fill his eyes and he touches her cheek, chuckling softly and she holds his hand, "I thought I lost you when you threw me out the castle..." He smiles at her, "I thought I lost you...I didn't want to lose you again..."

They smile and she tries scooting closer but nearly falls off her bed, "Maybe that's not a good idea." She chuckles, covering her bandages and Elk kisses her hand, smiling and they both lay back down. They look at each other for a while and Elk breaks the silence, "I'm sorry for everything...I should've done more to save you...." Adalie comforts him, squeezing his hand gently, "No...no, I had to go so they wouldn't kill anyone...I couldn't let anyone get hurt..." She lays her head back down, "It made me feel relieved when I saw your face...when you came to save me and here now." Elk smiles, "I didn't want to leave your side.... never again will I ever." She holds his hand in hers, "I didn't want to be lonely..." They hold each other's hands as Elk waits for Adalie to fall back to sleep before closing his eyes to rest more. 

.

.

.

.

.