Chapter 23 : Finality

You'd made the decision to lie to Maria and your two other friends, claiming you were 'bed bound' with illness in order to avoid any suspicions as to why you weren't turning up to Miss Romanoff's class.
You'd decided not to show your face in the University building, let alone her lectures, afraid of the consequences of what had happened the other day.
Carol was sending you all her notes. She was the only one out of the four of you who was actually up to date. Truthfully, it was surprising that even one of you was.

The days were boring, you hadn't much to do with yourself skipping all classes. You'd spent the week deciding what outfit you'd wear and stocking up on alcohol for the end of semester event that coming weekend - nothing riveting.

As the day rolled round, you spent the evening worrisome having not considered wether lecturers would be attending. However, as your friends filed into your flat after the final class of the week, your fears became non-existent.
You sat next to Maria, blushing as her arm brushed yours. Wanda and Carol faced you, pouring a concerning amount of shots as Maria topped up your drink.
You sat with your legs crossed, holding your hands over your lap as your dress left little to the imagination.

"You've made a miraculous recovery just in time for tonight, Y/N." Carol raised her brows at you, clearly poking fun at your timely absence.
"Yeah, funny that isn't it."
Wanda chimed in, giggling along as your rolled your eyes in their direction.

The hours ticked by and you ended up hand in hand with Maria, practically stumbling through the doors to an on-campus bar. Wanda laughed loudly at your misplaced footing, almost definitely more intoxicated than you. Maria held you at your waist, grinning at your willingness to be seen with her.
You were just glad she could tolerate your unbearable inability to handle your drinks.

You walk in and head to the bar, guzzling another drink as you subconsciously scan the room for Natasha. You can't see her, then you realise - you can't see much.
The corners of the room are blurred and tilting, you can barely focus on your hand stuck out in front of your face.
Wanda approached you from behind, wrapping an arm round your waist.
You turned to her, then checked your surroundings for Maria. She wouldn't like the sight.
"Looks like Miss Romanoff's getting over your break up."
"Huh?"
She notions towards the booths in the corner, running her palm down your arm in a reassuring manner.

You look over, taking a minute to squint your eyes and focus on the picture. A couple of professor's are chatting over some drinks. Natasha gently excused herself and Steve follows her, holding her waist in his hands. She turns, giggling until she catches your eye. Her face drops and Steve's vision follows. He notices you, smirking somewhat before leaning down to kiss Natasha's cheek - far too close to her mouth.

He drags Natasha to the bar, though you caught her muttering into his ear and holding back. He pulled her by her wrist, guiding her and pushing her through the crowd. They were stood as a couple just a number of feet away from you. You turned your head, plastering a fake grin on your face as Wanda ordered you another drink.

Maria removed you from her grip, standing in the space between yourself, Mr. Rogers and Natasha. It seemed like she hadn't even noticed them.
She turned, moving you so that your back faced the bartender. With your arms snaked round her neck, she leant in and pressed her lips to yours. She lifted her hand to your jaw, her fingertips brushing the skin of your neck.

You pulled away as the bartender returned with your drink, sliding it next to you. Maria became engaged in an ulterior conversation, turning from you momentarily.
As you lifted another shot to your lips, you caught Natasha eyeing your neck.
God, the bruises. They'd barely faded.
She stared at you, an unfortunately familiar expression on her face. She's pained and disappointed, but most of all - yearning.

She's shot from her distraction by Steve, who's relocating them once again.
You don't see her for the remainder of the night, or at least you don't recall seeing her.