21 - Homecoming

Just weeks later, Andy finally found himself able to bring his son home. 

Jacob was still a long way off of a full recovery, but with the help of professionals he'd soon be back to his old self. For now though? He was well enough to be at home where he could finally feel a bit more comfortable. The hospital room he'd been in had been enough for him, and now all he wanted was to settle down and play some games in the comfort of his own bedroom again.

"Sweetheart! He's home!" Andy called as they headed inside to the kitchen. Jacob looking around slowly and observing his surroundings. It felt strange to be back, and at any moment he was expecting his mother to appear, but then he remembered that she was safely away from him and instead there was Rose. 

His initial panic turned to calm at the moment that the young woman with a rather neat baby bump appeared in the doorway,  looking shocked as she took in Jacob standing in the kitchen. 

"Oh my goodness!" she beamed and hurried as best she could to him, which was hard considering she was getting bigger by the day, "Hello Jacob!" Looking at Andy as she embraced his son as best she could. "You didn't tell me he was allowed to come home today!" and pulled away.

The pair were more than familiar enough with one another after Andy had brought Rose to the hospital to meet Jacob. They'd spent hours talking, and by the time visiting hours had come to an end, he really didn't want them to leave. He understood that Rose made his dad happy and that was enough for him. But there was the added bonus that she wasn't as bat shit crazy as his own mother.

Andy grinned. "Yeah well I didn't know either until the doctor told us he was allowed to be discharged. So here he is. Finally." the relief in his voice obvious. 

"Let's get you settled back in then." She smiled and took the bag of things he'd brought back with him upstairs to put into his bedroom.

Jacob watched her go and then looked at Andy. "She looks like she's been crying..." he'd noted the redness around her eyes. "Is she ok?"

"Your moms trial has been getting to her." Andy admitted, "I didn't wanna say anything to you, but it starts up again next week."

"Oh..." He said nothing for a moment or two and then announced he was going to go and unpack his bag. "I kinda wanna feel like I'm back at home again." He added.

"Whatever you want bud." Andy nodded and let him go.

Jacob found Rose in his parents bedroom, finishing off changing the sheets that she'd started before they'd got home. "Need some help?" he asked on seeing her struggling a little. She was looking a little tired too.

"Oh? It's ok I've got it."

He ignored that and put the pillowcases on the pillows. "I'm nervous about the trial too..." he began, and she paused momentarily. "Don't tell dad, but I get upset every night, about mom, the accident. It'd be nice if it all just disappeared with her..."

Rose looked up from straightening the sheets out and then spoke. "Before the accident, I lost a baby that was your dad's...your mom found out about us, and she pushed me down the stairs..."

Jacob looked at her a little shocked. "Didn't you tell anyone?"

"No, only your dad and I know, because if that had come up during the trial for your accident? Then they could have blamed me for causing your mom distress, and that is something that I never intended. It was never meant to go on for as long as it did." She straightened herself as she finished the bed. "I guess we both have been affected in some ways by your mom. Both lost something."

Jacob had lost his trust, almost his life as well as seven months of it being comatose, now he had heard what Rose had to say he wasn't surprised that she was upset too. "Do you think my statement will be enough to make sure I never see her again?" He glared at the pillowcases in his hands.

"I think it will be the only thing that ensures that. You were strong enough to do what many other wouldn't have if it were their parents." She told him. "Your dad doesn't want me there next week, and to be honest I don't want to have to sit through it again like I did the first time around."

"Guess you're stuck with me then." He threw her a lopsided smile. There was no way that he was going to see the inside of a courtroom again. 

As he passed the pillows to Rose, she looked at him. "It will soon stop...it won't fully leave, but it will stop, and things will be better. I won't tell Andy about what you told me."

He nodded, "Dad said to me on the way home that there's a chance we might move?"

"He's just thinking of you."

"I know...and I think he's right. After all, I only have like one friend now." He'd only had a small group of friends to start with, but now they'd pretty much all deserted him after Ben's trial. Even if the charges were dropped.

"Well that's something you can talk to him about. For now, let's just get you settled back in, and we can have anything you want for dinner yeah?"

Jacob grinned, "Think dad will let us have pizza?"

"He will if I tell him I'm craving it." She smirked and patted her stomach.

"What's it like? Having something moving around inside of you?" He frowned. Surely it had to be annoying or have some kind of weird feeling at least. 

Beckoning him over Rose sat down on the edge of the bed, gently took his hand, and placed it on an area of her stomach. "Wait for it..."

Thud...thud thud...

"Wooooah!" Jacob took his hand away quickly and looked amazed. "That's freaky but cool, doesn't that get annoying?"

"It is when the baby is jumping around and you just wanna sleep." Rose replied, "But that's what it feels like."

Jacob sat next to her. "You got any names yet?"

"Nothing. It'd be easier if we knew the gender." She rolled her eyes. I still can't convince your dad."

"I can guilt trip him."

"I'd love to see you try..."