3 - Deception

"You're late, I've been trying to call you?" Laurie noted as Andy walked in that evening. "Long day?"

He nodded and loosened his tie, "Yeah, sorry I got caught up and before I knew it the time had got away with me." and gave her a small kiss. "Sorry."

She brushed it off easily, which he was thankful for. "It's alright, dinner's in the microwave if you wanna heat it up."

"Thanks." He shrugged off his jacket and undid the first few buttons of his shirt. Not that he'd just redressed or anything, but he needed to keep up appearances. Watching the food in the microwave turn slowly, the images flashed into his mind, snapshots of memories with the woman who seemed to be the only person who could make him feel alive.

"Andy...please..." Rose's voice was panting, begging him, echoing over and over as he'd taken her on his desk once everyone had left the office. "Harder..."  The bleep of the microwave brought him back to reality as it finished. Suddenly he'd lost his appetite for anything but her.

"Are you sure you're ok?" Laurie questioned as he jabbed at his food.

He nodded. "Just tired sweetheart."

Laurie got her coat on and grabbed her keys, "I need to go pick up Jacob from Sarah's, I'll be back soon. You'd better have an early night."

And a cold shower.

The more each day passed, the more Andy found himself struggling to carry on as the devoted husband and father. He rarely saw Jake unless he was dragging him out of bed for school, or on the weekend. Most of the time he was a typical boy playing video games in his room or hanging out with friends. If he and Laurie were to separate, would Jacob blame him? Would he want to see him? Andy had always sworn that he'd never be anything like his father was, and he'd certainly succeeded in that area. Even Laurie knew nothing of what had happened years ago when he was a kid, but for him? The nightmares were forever roaming his brain and tormenting him.

Andy headed upstairs and took a shower, then taking out his phone – thumb hovering above the call button under Rose's name. He didn't have much time; Laurie would be back soon and with a small 'fuck it' he pressed the button. She answered after a couple of rings.

"Andy?"

"Hey..." he paused, what the fuck did he say now? "I, err...I just called to say goodnight..." His voice a murmur in case Laurie and Jacob had returned without his knowledge.

He was sure he could feeling her smiling at the other end, and now saw the headlights of Laurie's car coming down the road. "Did you really call just to say that?" Rose now asked knowingly, and he chuckled.

"Not exactly, just wanted to hear your voice." Below, Laurie and Jacob were now getting out of the car. "I gotta go, Laurie's back with Jake."

"Okay." She replied softly. "I'll see you in the morning."

"You gonna wear the skirt again?" he smirked.

She laughed. "It's that or your favourite blouse, you know the one."

"How about both?"

"Now that would get you too excited to focus on doing any work." She lightly scolded him. "You'll just have to wait and see."

"Andy!" Laurie called up the stairs.

He exhaled and glanced back at the bedroom door. "I'll see you in the morning, sleep well Rose." And quickly hung up as his wife breezed into the room. "I was getting ready for bed. Think I might have to have that early night."

Laurie smiled. "Jake aced his test today, didn't you?" she turned to where Jacob was in the doorway, paper in his hand.

"Yep."

Andy smiled. "Good job bud, let's see." He beckoned him over and took a look at the test score. "Well at least you got my brain, that's for sure." He smirked as Laurie scoffed at this.

It was moments like this that made him conflicted. He loved Jacob, geez he'd cut off his arm for that kid if he had to, and moments shared with the three of them like this? It was nice. It should always be that way, not just once in a while, which is what it had become. If they'd had another child then perhaps things would have been different? Easier? Andy had always wanted another just so that Jacob wasn't alone, but Laurie had refused. Seemingly happy to be just a threesome. Jacob had even asked one Christmas when he was about six or seven, for a sister. Laurie had then had to explain to him that Santa didn't bring siblings, and eventually the subject was soon forgotten about.

Jacob looked pleased with himself and announced he was going to talk to a few friends online before bed.

Laurie watched him go with a smile. "Sometimes I think he's too clever for his own good."

"Yeah well he's always been a smart kid." Thank goodness. Jacob was sensible too which was more than could be said for some of the kids at Archer. He got into bed and Laurie went downstairs to finish locking up.

Andy looked at his phone that now lit up. A picture message. Opening it, he knew he was barely going to sleep tonight. Not when Rose was teasing him with new underwear. Don't tell me those are on special for tomorrow. He messaged back quickly. 

They might be, it would depend on whether you take advantage of whatever breaks we have to enjoy them. Didn't you say earlier you have dinner with Laurie tomorrow evening?

Shit. He'd forgotten about that. Unfortunately. But would rather be eating you for dessert.

You know I'm a three course meal 😉

If I don't turn up at the office tomorrow then it's because you've killed me stone dead with these pictures.

Don't die on me Barber, otherwise other men will have to enjoy all this nice underwear I buy for you.

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon x

He put his phone down and grabbed his book as Laurie now came back into the bedroom to get ready for bed. "You've been reading that book for weeks and still look like you haven't got anywhere." She said from inside the walk in closet.

"It's heavy reading, no idea why I bothered starting it." He replied.

Laurie eventually emerged and slid in next to him, huddling close to him. "We should really try and get away this year. Jacob keeps on about going to Mexico..." she stated and lifted her head slightly to look up at him. "Andy?"

"Hmm? Oh right, yeah...well I'll look into it, see how the land lies at work."

"I'd have thought you of all people would've wanted to get away. You deserve a break." She said, hand now roaming downwards.

Oh great. She wanted what he was completely spent of. "Sweetheart, I'm tired..." he murmured, kissing her hair.

Immediately she stopped and moved away. "Sorry..."

He sighed "It's been a long day and I just need some sleep." He put the book on his side table and rolled over wrapping his arms around her, lips finding her cheek and kissing it. "It's not that I don't want to..."

"So what is it then?" Laurie asked, "We haven't touched each other in weeks."

He was pretty sure that she was exaggerating when she said that but took no notice. "Laurie..." He warned. "Look things have been busy lately for the both of us, you know that."

"I know but I just...never mind, it doesn't matter." She told him, trying to shrug it off.

"Well it does to me now you're being like this." Andy retorted.

She rolled back over to face him. "Like I said, it's ok...I just thought you could use something to take your mind off work. Relax a little." And then she turned her back to him and turned off the light.

He wasn't about to try and make the situation better. They were out to dinner tomorrow evening so he could easily devote his time to her then, even though he really didn't. He'd just have to think about Rose and pray he didn't say her name during the process. 

The situation was getting messier by the day, and Andy had no clue just how it would end. Someone would get hurt and already he knew just who it would be.