10 - Reunion

The thoughts were rushing through Andy's mind as he drove to Rose's house. Was this to get back at him? Was it now just a game to her? Rose was the least malicious person that he knew but his trust in people had dwindled as of late, especially in his wife. 

That damn article that had been published had barely scraped the surface, and as of yesterday the exposure of his father's past was laid bare in black and white for all to read and judge accordingly. It wouldn't do Jacob any favours and Andy had tried his best to move on from that time of his life.

It would always remain though. His father had been the reason that he'd become a lawyer. He couldn't have done anything back then, so he could sure as hell do something about men like William Barber now.

Pulling up outside Rose's house, he sat for a few moments to recollect before getting out and making for the front door.

She answered immediately without so much as a word.

Andy walked in silently as Rose stepped aside after opening the door for him. He looked at her once it was closed, the irritation clear to see. "So my wife enjoyed her coffee date with you this morning..."

"I didn't have a fucking choice! You honestly think I wanted to sit and be besties with the woman who I cant stand to look at!" She snapped.

"So why the fuck didn't you just leave!"

She stared hard at him before answering. "Because I'm too nice."

"You could have just turned a blind eye! That's what everyone else in this fucking town is doing to us, so why can't you!"

"Oh, so you wanted me to just walk on by? I didn't even realise it was her until I stood up and saw her face!" Rose defended herself. She wasn't about to let him get angry at her for something that had been out of her control.

He let out a small 'hah' at this and shook his head in disbelief. "It's gotta stop."

"I did stop it; I gave you up because I knew you wouldn't leave!" She crossed her arms and glared. "I'm not waiting for something that will never happen!" She was trying to hard to make it seem like she didn't give a damn anymore when really she was hurting more than he could ever imagine.

Andy looked at her, the hurt flashing across his face and he ran a hand through his hair. "Baby..."

"Don't call me that..." her voice cracked, "Please." And just like that, she was back under his spell as he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her. "Why are you doing this to me?" she sobbed.

"Because I fucking love you that's why." His eyes now stared into her own, hurt and anguish behind them. "You think it's not killing me? The fact you ended it and I can't do anything about us? As soon as Jacob's trial is over, then I can leave Laurie, but you know I can't right now, you know it Rose!" His voice was desperate, just as he was. Desperate for everything to just be over so he could finally up and leave.

She looked at him through her tears. "I want to hate you so much."

"Then hate me, but don't hate me for loving you...don't hate me for that."

Her lips met with his and savoured every kiss he gave her, his hand went to her stomach and rested there. Soon there would be an indication of just what they'd created on show to all. Jacob had always wanted a sibling, ok not in this way but it was the closest they were going to get.

He couldn't give her up. He'd never give them up. They just had to be patient and wait for an outcome before anything else could happen. Life was cruel, and this was just another cruelty to add to the list of Andy Barber's misfortunes.

His arms kept her secured in a strong embrace, fearing that if he let her go then she'd simply vanish away. Andy never wanted to let go. "Stay..." he now heard Rose say, her hand placing itself on top of his own that still rested on her stomach.

Andy would stay forever if he could. He had time – after all Laurie knew he was out on a 'drive'. He could take as long as he wanted to.

"Ok." 

Rose watched as Andy slept next to her an hour or so later. Chest rising and falling calmly. Did he feel a sense of sanctuary here? Away from the prying eyes of journalists and neighbours? His sleep told her so as he'd stated to her earlier that it had been hard to come by. His hand was still entwined with her own, grasp loosened slightly more so than before, but never fully letting go. Even when he was asleep he still didn't want to risk that. 

Of course they'd ended up in bed together, after all they had nothing to be careful about now. He'd ensured that he was gentle, something that she'd never known him to be during their sessions. 

This could be their life...

This could be them lying in bed together in pure bliss while their baby slept peacefully in a room across the hall. Rose would wake up to him every morning, she'd get to be held in his arms every night, just like he had done earlier. 

They could do anything they wanted, go anywhere they liked. 

That was the dream, and still despite Lynn's words and her own doubt she held out the last piece of hope that she had, that they would have this. No matter how long it would take. 

The vibration from his phone woke him and he leant over to check who it was. Rose already knew it would be Laurie, questioning where he was and when he'd be back home. "I have to get back..." he looked back at her. 

"I know." 

Leaning down, Andy placed a long and lingering kiss on her lips, before travelling downward and leaving another on her stomach. "Take it easy," he instructed, knowing that she'd been feeling ill. "I'll call you later." 

Getting up and dressing, Rose threw on her own clothes and followed him downstairs, watching as he drove away and back to the normality he knew. 

She had to be patient. There was always hope, even when there was still some doubt eating away at her. The sooner the trial was over, the better.