12 - A New Hell

Mexico had been just what he needed. A sense of calm before the rising storm that was to happen after they returned home. Laurie was relaxed, the worry that had been constant no longer lingering on her expression as it had done for the last couple of months. However if she'd have hoped for the spark to reignite from this trip then she was wrong. That ship had sailed, and he just needed to see this holiday out until they got back.

Laurie herself had begun to fear that her suspicions about him were coming true. Andy still seemed distant in some ways. Like the other night after they'd come back from dinner, he'd simply turned over and gone straight to sleep whereas she'd been hoping for something more.

He was currently in the shower getting ready before they went to dinner for New Year's, and she glanced across at the phone on the table next to the bed.

She needed answers. She had to see whether she was right or just being paranoid. The trial had taken its toll on them all, but she couldn't ignore it for much longer. The sooner she knew then the better. Then perhaps they could all move on with their lives. 

The phone lit up with a message and Laurie picked it up, almost dropping it in horror as she saw the name. 

Rose.

 Followed by the message in reply to one he must have sent earlier. I can't wait until this is over either. I love you too x

Laurie felt the anger bubbling inside of her as well as the betrayal.

He'd never do it.

Never.

But it explained everything...the reason why he had become distant, why he was on his phone, why he perhaps worked late many nights? He'd been seeing her...

What hurt also was that this was the woman who she knew, who had listened to her talk about Andy and the trial. Gave her that shoulder to cry on after the whole grocery store meeting.

How long had it been going on for? Had Rose been comforting her all this time while knowing that she'd been sleeping with her husband?

She couldn't do anything about it now. She needed to be tactful, but curiosity got the better of her and she unlocked his phone. The password was Jake's birthday. They both had the same. Laurie pulled up the messages, going back as far as earlier in the year.

Not wanting to see any more, she put the phone back on the side just as Andy came out of the shower and quickly resumed doing her make up. "I think your phone just went off." She told him helpfully, all the while her head was spinning.

"I'll check in a minute."

"Could be important."

"Doubt it now that the trial's over, by the way did you know that Jake's spending this evening with that girl he met? Hope?"

Laurie nodded. "He asked if he could go to the New Years party with her and I said yes, her parents are ok with it." Thank goodness.

"As long as they are." He said and checked the message.

Laurie watched from the reflection as he typed, probably telling her that he loved her more. He was going to leave her and Jacob for Rose? Was she to just pick up and move to Colorado alone? Would he stay behind?

She had so many questions that she was trying to figure out which ones were the most important.

Laurie couldn't let him do this. Not after all that they'd been through. It wasn't fair to Jacob. Once they were home she'd be paying a visit to Rose and telling her that she knew everything, and that Andy wouldn't be leaving her. She'd need to threaten her to stay away and if Rose knew what was good for her, then she'd do just that and let them get on with their lives in Colorado.

Andy sat out on the balcony the next evening and pondered. New Year's Day and his son was once again under investigation for Hope's disappearance. He wondered just why this was happening to them. He'd give anything to be with Rose right now, seeing in the New Year with her and making plans for their future.

Instead he was sat while Jacob insisted that he had nothing to do with Hope's disappearance. Andy believed him of course, a statement was given to Mexican police when they'd interviewed him and now all they could do was wait. It was a wonder how the hell he hadn't adopted a drinking habit by this point.

The only thought keeping him going was Rose.

"You need to let me know when the ultrasound is" He'd said during their last meeting before he'd left for Mexico. "I'll come with you" his hand caressed the slight curve of her stomach as he kissed her goodbye. She wasn't even ten weeks gone yet or so they had estimated, but only the scan would confirm that. "You look after that baby for us until I get back..."

"We'll be fine, I just can't wait for you to come back to us so we can finally be together."

"Like we always planned." He smiled at her. "I'll keep checking in, but I can't call." Rose nodded at this, but Andy could tell she was upset.  "It'll go quickly, just rest up. Enjoy the peace. I love you."

"I love you too."

Those three words ofhers echoed in his mind. Fate was trying to do everything to ensure that he andRose would never be together, but he wasn't about to let anything else come betweenthem. 

He'd have Rose Sullivan, even if it killed him.