15 - Communication Is Key

Christmas morning was like a dream. From waking up in the same bed as Sanzu and Ichigo to opening presents in the living room. You couldn't help but imagine yourself with them as your own family.

You love Sanzu, of course. But there's still doubt in you, especially now that he's part of an illegal organization. Despite all his efforts to show you he did actually care and that he can actually make time for you now, you were still apprehensive about taking him back.

And rightfully so.

"But it's Christmas..." Ichigo mutters sadly after Sanzu announced that he had a mission that day and Mikey had told him to be at the headquarters by noon.

Sanzu crouched down and placed a hand on top of Ichigo's head. "I know, buddy. I don't want to go to work too but you know I have to."

Ichigo looks down before looking up at you. "Mama, please tell Papa to stay."

Your breath hitched in your throat, your eyes flickering to Sanzu who then looks down in guilt. He didn't like how he had to work, how he had to leave you again at such an important day. It's like middle school all over again. But this time, he was disappointing more than one person.

"Ichigo..." You sigh and crouch in front of him as well. "...he'll be back later, okay?"

"Well—"

"You'll be back early right, Haruchiyo?" You turn to Sanzu who snaps his head to you immediately.

"Y-Yes, of course..." He mutters just loud enough for you two to hear.

"And he'll bring back ice cream for you." You added, Ichigo now smiling at you.

"Mhm." Sanzu nods his head. "Lots of it."

After that conversation, you told Ichigo to take a shower while you head to the front doors with Sanzu. He was quiet just like you were and you knew he was feeling the same emotions like you as well.

"I promise, I'll try to come back early." Sanzu says as soon as he steps outside.

You press your lips together and just nodded your head as you didn't want to let him know you doubted his words.

Sanzu bites his lip as he stares at you while you looked down. Then he sighs and pulls you into a tight hug, pressing a soft kiss on top of your head.

"Trust me, okay? I love you." He whispers before letting go and walking away. You didn't even get to say anything.

For the day, you took Ichigo to lots of places. You had coincidentally met Hakkai, Yuzuha, and Mitsuya at one of the places you went to and went with them.

Hakkai and Mitsuya were walking on each side of Ichigo, holding a hand each while you stay behind with Yuzuha. She talked about how she stopped talking to the person she was seeing because of how that person treated her.

"You know, I know one guy who's absolutely perfect for you." You tell Yuzuha who then chuckles.

"Takashi is like a brother to me and I don't want to ruin that." She immediately responds. "I don't like him like that."

"How can you not like him? I mean, look at him!" You whisper-yelled, motioning your hands to Mitsuya who just picked up Ichigo and carried him because Ichigo told him he was tired of walking.

"Well, I want to ask you the exact same thing!" Yuzuha says with a laugh. "Takashi would be perfect for you—"

"He's an absolute sweetheart but I have to pass." You tell her. "Takashi deserves better."

"Hmm, what about Chifuyu?" Yuzuha asks after thinking for a few seconds. "You two are really close."

"I don't think I deserve a guy as good as Chifuyu." You say while shaking your head a little.

"Oh come on!" Yuzuha groans and bumps her shoulder with yours. "You're an amazing person. I'm not into girls but I definitely would have a crush on you If I were."

"Stop it, Yuzuha!" You laugh and push her playfully. "You're making me blush!"

"What are you girls talking about?" Hakkai stops walking and turns to the two of you.

"It's girl talk. Mind your own business, Hakkai." Yuzuha says with her hands on her hips.

"Tch. Why are girls so secretive?" Hakkai mutters under his breath before turning around.

At around four in the afternoon, you guys split up and decided to call it a day. You had gone back to the house with a positive mind. Ichigo, being too tired, ate dinner early and headed to bed.

As the hours passed by, your mood started to go down. You already told yourself not to expect anything from Sanzu but he had your hopes up by telling you all those things earlier.

At exactly 11, you hear the doorbell ring. You immediately rise from the couch, a smile making its way to your face only to be replaced with a frown in a matter of seconds as you remember that Sanzu wouldn't even have to ring the doorbell because he had a key.

You open the door to Haitani Ran who seemed to have been drinking prior to coming here. He raises a hand with a lazy smile on his face as a greeting.

"Ran, it's late. What are you doing here?" You say, letting him in as you didn't want to be rude.

"I have...something...to show you..." He mumbles on the couch whilst struggling to get his phone out. "Come 'ere."

Ran pats the spot beside him and you hesitantly sit next to him, your stomach churning. You knew in an instant that this conversation would end horribly.

"Watch the video." Ran says, slurring the words.

You gingerly took his phone and played the video on the screen. It was a bit dark but the neon lights were enough for you to make out Sanzu's figure on the couch.

On top of him was a girl dressed in skimpy clothes, her face so close to his that you wouldn't believe it if anyone told you they weren't sucking each other's faces off. The girl had her hands cupping Sanzu's cheeks whilst Sanzu's hands were draped lazily on the couch on each side of him.

You swallow harshly, your heart dropping to your stomach. A part of you didn't want to believe that it was Sanzu on the video or that some random girl was on top of him, kissing him and he was just letting her. You didn't want to believe what you were seeing.

Once you snapped out of it, you gave Ran his phone back and he tries to comfort you by rubbing your back gently.

"I'm deeply sorry for this but I just had to let you know." Ran sobers up a little, trying his best not to close his eyes.

"I...how...why...?" You struggled to form a decent sentence despite being calm. "He's not a—"

"A cheater?" Ran smirks, huffing out a dry laugh. "Are you two even together to call it cheating? Him making out with a girl? Is it considered cheating when you two aren't even together?"

"I don't know..." You mutter, looking away.

Ran places a finger under you chin and turns your head to face him. "You deserve someone better, darling."

"What are y—"

"Sanzu's no good for you, remember that."