3

Chapter Three - Precautions

Judah Jackson's P.O.V.

I park the car and wince at the thought of what's coming before getting out. It's dark and quiet but the house's lights illuminate a warm glow to show me the way. Hopefully the kids should be asleep by now, I think to myself. Just before I reach however Ella opens the door with a wide smile which instantly disappears at the sight of me.

"Guys!" She yells worriedly before I have a chance to shut her up.

"Right...see you never." I salute her before turning to run off.

"Judah Jackson get inside right the hell now! What happened to you?!"

I groan as Ryder appears by her side in an instant and his expression darkens at the sight of me. Hunter and Zoe follow suit with worried looks before I'm tugged to the sitting room. The girls fawn over me before realizing all my wounds have been tended to save for my heavily bruising skin and cuts.

I look around but don't spot the kids anywhere which means they're probably all in bed. Ella had Alistair and Zoe had twin boys, Matteo and Micah, a few months ago so I know they've been trying to get everyone to sleep around the same time.

"Girls..." I take their hands and sit up with a serious expression. "You've got to admit...I look ten times hotter don't I?"

They don't miss a beat and I receive two smacks to where I haven't been hit. I dramatically groan and writhe in pain regardless. "You've killed me! Never did I think my sisters-in-law would be the reason I die! Think of all the women you've denied!"

I stop immediately when they pinch my ears and fold my hands apologetically. They let go and I relax against the couch once again. Ella shakes her head as she cuddles up to Ryder whereas Hunter pulls Zoe onto his lap as they all stare at me for an explanation. I scratch the back of my head before deciding to tell them everything.

"You know how I helped Charlie with the whole Liam situation? Well, the leader of the Mexican gang Liam was involved with is behind bars but I've pissed off Quintana who's the leader of a gang in Venezuela. His weapons shipment got busted and he lost several men because of me." I explain as I rest my elbows on my thighs. "He didn't see Charlie thank fuck so she's safe but I was running around with the police so he connected the dots and now he's after me. His men have been out looking for me and roughed me up again today after I left the new office."

"We're getting you a security team." Ryder states in a no-nonsense tone.

I still open my mouth to protest but get cut off by Hunter. "Don't object to this Judah, you could get seriously hurt. It's for your protection."

"I can handle it. He hasn't caught me –"

"How you look right now just proves his men are getting closer Jude." Zoe speaks up in a soft tone and I clench my jaw in frustration.

"Look...I'll go into hiding or something. I don't need a security team!"

"You're definitely going into hiding but not without a security team. End of discussion Judah." Ryder states with a stern look and from arguing with him over the years I know he's not going to budge.

"Fine!" I huff before storming off to the balcony outside.

I silently sulk as I watch the city lights twinkling in the distance with the stars above me. It's getting colder now that we're in Autumn and I pull my jacket closer to keep the heat from escaping. Only a few more minutes go by before I hear the door creak open. I look over my shoulder to see Ella and Zoe step in with small cautious smiles.