Chapter 11

It's no use

...

...

"No

I refuse to die this way

it would be utterly pathetic."

...

Somehow, something clicked inside of me. My hands no longer trembled trying to stay still, and my rapid pulse slowed down.

Now was not the time to stop fighting.

It was already too late to turn back, I was too far away from the others. I would have to take the risk and proceed further ahead. It was my only hope.

I kicked my horse's side, encouraging it to go even faster. I had to act quickly, before nighttime sets in. Staying outside in the dark, with titans freely roaming around is not on my priority list.

If I was lucky, I might even meet some other squad out here. They too must have taken this way, right?

I recalled the formation in my head.

"The commander, with section commander Hanji and their squad in front leading the rest. Mike Zacharias' squad in the middle. Mine and Marlene's on each side.

Immediately I can rule out meeting anyone from the front, along with Mike's squad. They would be the ones meeting and dealing with the abnormals. Marlene and her cadets are also out of question. They were on the opposite side of ours, so the possibility of them being anywhere near me right now is as small as a speck of dust.

Though I am not sure about the other smaller squads near the center, the ones on the left close to mine could have easily followed our route."

I kept my gaze ahead, searching for any sign of movement, and let out a small huff when there was none.

Perhaps it would be wise to switch methods, keeping in mind that my vision was greatly decreased by the thick fog around me.

"Since my eyes can't do much, I'll try using my voice instead."

I filled my lungs to their full capacity, and let it all out with one sentence.

"HEY, IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!?"

...

...

...

The silence echoed, louder than it should've.

"Try again"

I breathed in yet again, heart thumping against my ribcage.

"IS THERE ANYONE HERE?!"

...

...

...

I waited eagerly, time almost freezing between each breath. Though I once again could only hear my own heart beating. Or wait, that doesn't sound like regular heartbeats...

"WE'RE OVER HERE!"

Eyes widening, I recognized that voice. I forcefully pulled the reins in the direction it came from. My horse stopped for a second, almost entirely standing up and letting out a loud neigh before it obliged and turned.

"I'M COMING! STAY WHERE YOU ARE!"

With my horse at full speed, I almost felt pushed back by the dense water. Still I rode on, heading towards the kind voice. I would not get distracted today.