Chapter 10

'"FORWARD!" The blonde man, also said to be the commander, shouted and pointed ahead with his arm, straight out into the wilderness outside the walls.

And as commanded, all the horses galloped through the gate and out into titan territory.

The formation the commander had chosen for this expedition was quite simple as I had understood. He was in the front, along with section commander Hanji Zoe and their squad. In the middle was Mike Zacharias' squad and some other lower ranked ones.

The one I was in, the special operation squad, located on the left wing. And on the opposite side of that, was Marlene's.

The reason for the expedition was simply to obtain more information about the titans. Which captain shorty in front of me was not so optimistic about.

Me, him and Eren were riding silently beside each other. No one was that fond of the idea of a conversation right now, which of course was understandable due to our situation.

Also, it had been a little awkward between me and the corporal lately. The scene in the forest had not really helped our relationship bloom, but it's not like I wanted it to either. He is just some short grumpy midget, and I, a mere cadet.

That's it.

Right?

The truth was, what Levi had said and done in the forest was doing something weird to me. It was as if it was the only thing I could think about, and I didn't understand why...Or well, I guess it's because it's not everyday your captain pins you against a tree and-

-Not care?

-Do you have any idea how scared I was when you-

His words interrupted my train of thought, just like they had been doing for the past few days.

"Damnit, Will this ever stop?!" I shaked my head, the corporal was right. I have to stop getting distracted.

---

So far, the expedition has gone smoothly. Most titans had been wiped out by the other squads near the center of the formation. Meaning my squad hadn't engaged in any combat.

I assume we're just here if something goes wrong, but not going to lie it felt a little strange to just...well, ride around. On top of that, we had not seen a single soldier since we left the walls. The closest to that was the flare guns' smoke which occasionally shot through the air.

Was that normal?

"Should we have seen some other squad by now? Just where did they all go?"

I might be wrong, but something feels...off. Yet I seem to be the only one reacting to this. Both Eren and Levi seemed not to care about it, or maybe they just haven't realized...

I sighed, it's probably nothing to worry about anyway.

...

My head tilted slightly as I looked over at Eren.

Of course Armin had told me everything about his titan abilities, which felt almost a little surreal, but at the same time, it was astonishing. Possessing this unique power will definitely come in handy.

Eren had noticed me staring at him, and looked back at me confused.

"Hey, are you...okay?" His sudden question threw me off, as always I had been too engrossed in my thoughts to realize where my gaze had locked itself.

Keeping my voice as monotone as possible I responded. "Yes, of course I am." And quickly looked away, he did not need to know what was going on inside my mind.