Chapter 5

I must have fallen asleep in Armin's warm embrace because when I opened my eyes I was greeted with a ray of sunlight shining in through the curtains. I was laying nicely tucked in the covers on my bed, he must've done this before he left.

I couldn't help but smile a bit, he's just so sweet! I'm really happy to have someone like him by my side.

"Thanks Armin"

I removed the covers from myself and slowly got out of my bed. Going over to my wardrobe I took out one of my clean uniforms.

While getting dressed I noticed my bandages had gotten a little loose.

"Guess I'll have to pay the nurses a visit before breakfast."

After tightening all the straps on my uniform I put on my boots and left my room. The walk to the infirmary room was silent since it was pretty early still, I only passed a few other cadets making their way towards the mess hall.

However, that peace was disturbed when two other cadets appeared in front of me, blocking the entrance to the infirmary.

"Well well, look who it is! Little miss y/n!" A girl with long black hair mockingly said.

"It certainly is, what a coincidence meeting her here!" The smug-looking man beside her replies with a stupid grin plastered on his face.

"Seriously, what's wrong with them? I don't have time for this, let's just get this over with..."

I looked at them and took a breath before replying. "Listen, I don't have time to chat away with you, so would you kindly move out of the way?"

"Ha! Did you hear that Charlotte? This bitch thinks she can order us around! Hahaha!"

"Uh"

The small woman chuckled a bit. "You really think you are something, don't you?." She said with one of those ugly grins.

"Wha-"

The guy then proceeded to punch me, but I easily moved out of his line of sight, grabbed his outstretched arm, and slammed his body to the floor.

"Ah! what the hell?! George? George!?" Charlotte, panicked and scared crouched down to check on her companion.

"This was just too easy."

When she wasn't getting an answer, she looked up at me like a wild animal and screamed, "YOU...YOU HAG!"

I stared her right in the eye, unfaced by her outbreak.

"Two against one and you still lost? Pathetic" I said with my with a hint of amusement, still keeping my stone mask on.

"SHUT UP YOU DUMB BITCH!" She tried once again to intimidate me.

"Your lucky I'm not planning to report you. But don't get any ideas, I just don't want to waste my time on garbage like you." I responded coldly.

Her eyes were practically shooting fire at this point.

"Consider this a fucking warning" I finished and entered the hospital. Leaving her on the floor along with her shitty boyfriend.

---

Once the nurse had fixed my bandages I started making my way down to the mess hall for breakfast. Thankfully, I didn't encounter any distractions this time.

As I entered the mess hall the heads of the cadets once again turned to face me, and once again stared at me quietly as I walked past them to get my food.

"They look like pigeons staring at breadcrumbs, wait....why are they even looking at me?" My thoughts were cut short as I bumped into someone, more specifically a male cadet, who was a few centimeters taller than me.

"Hey! Watch wh-" The cadet turned around but stopped talking once he saw me, and I swear I saw a faint blush on his cheeks.

"Y-y/n!" He stuttered out.

"Sorry" Was the only word I replied with before walking past the frozen cadet to collect my breakfast.

---

When I had managed to get the loaf of bread they called breakfast I found an empty table to sit at. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to start eating before someone sat down in the seat next to mine. I turned my head and saw that it was the cadet from before.

"U-uh hi y-y/n" He exclaimed, to which I replied with a nod and turned my attention back to my bread. His chestnut-colored eyes kept staring at me for a few seconds before he started eating too.

We both ate in silence for a few minutes before the doors were slammed open. A wave of cadets running into the hall made the once so peaceful atmosphere into a loud annoying one. I let out a sigh and stood up to leave when a hand was placed on my shoulder. Startled, I turned around and saw that the hand belonged to Armin.

"O-oh sorry y/n! I didn't mean to scare you, I was just wondering if you'd be able to meet me at the library after this morning's training session. There's this book I found that I'd like to show you, it's about different medical conditions and I think it would help you a lot with your memory loss..." He whispered the last part, after all, we were in a crowded area, which is not really the ideal place to talk about these things.

"How could I ever refuse such a kind offer? If that book can help me understand more of what is happening, there's no way I'm going to miss that chance."

"Alright, I'll meet you there"

---

When our training was finally over I swiftly dusted myself off before walking towards the HQ entrance. It was already time for lunch to be served, so we would have to act fast not to be late. I could practically hear the food calling for me, but getting ahold of that book is more important right now.

What I didn't know was that a pair of steel eyes were watching me from afar, studying me very closely.

---

I entered the library and immediately spotted Armin sitting at one of the tables with a book in front of him.

"Armin"

He turned around and gave me a little smile, inviting me to come to sit with him. I walked over to him and sat down in the chair beside him. "This is the book I was talking about." He placed the thick book in front of me. Armin flipped the pages and stopped at a page which was titled "Amnesia".

"I think I've heard about that before, but I can't remember what it was."

"As you can see this is titled amnesia, which is another term for memory loss. There are a few different types of amnesia, and the one I think you have is called retrograde amnesia." He said as he put one of his fingers on the page where it explained more about it.

"Wait, does this mean I'll never get my memories back?" I slowly started to panic, if I couldn't get my memories back, I don't know what I would do.

The seconds in between his next sentences felt extremely long, as I was now eagerly listening to know what would happen with my forgotten memories.

...

"From what I've read, this type of amnesia can be cured."

I let out a breath I hadn't noticed I was holding, it was as if a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. "Th- that's great!" I managed to exclaim in my state of astonishment. Armin gave me a small nod and continued talking about the book.

"As I was saying, it is possible to get your memories back, either by time or trying to awaken them in some way. Like visiting places where you have strong memories, or eating the same food as you did before losing your memories. Armin paused and looked up at me. "So I think if we just keep doing these things your memories will start coming back."

I let myself smile a bit, this was just too good to be true. "Thanks a lot, Armin."