Familiar Talks

"Babe, I hope you're not mad that I don't wear my engagement ring for the time being. You know my situation, in the process pa lang ang annulment ko."

"Alam ko naman yan, Love. I understand," Jake said as he kissed the finger her engagement ring would be on. "Baby, what if you get pregnant, though? We didn't use protection each time."

"I won't. I'm on the pill. My doctor in the States put me on it because my periods were irregular. So yun, huwag kang magisip ng kung ano ano dyan."

"Wala naman akong sinabi," he laughed as he kept holding her hand.

They were now on the way back to Batangas to her mom's house. Gloria invited them to lunch along with Nick and Lizzie. As much as Jake wanted Beth all to himself some more, he figured they would have time for that after they were married.

"So as far as I know, you're the only man I've ever been with."

"I am. You were never with Alex that intimately."

"Okay, good to know. Besides, matagal ko na palang problema yun."

"I didn't know that."

"I was probably too embarrassed to tell you. Personal woman problems you didn't need to bother yourself with. But now, I want to be open with you. I've read somewhere that having an irregular period can increase the chances of not conceiving. I've been okay since being on the pill, but of course I have concerns. Would it be a relationship killer if we can never have a baby?"

"Of course not. I love you. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. There are treatments we can seek, et cetera."

"I love you, too. I do want to get off the pill soon. Just to see if my body can regulate itself naturally."

"Thank you for being open with me, babe," he said as he kissed her again on the back of her hand.

They arrived at her mom's house just a few minutes before Nick and Lizzie. Lizzie bounded out of the car and ran to Beth as soon as the little girl spotted her.

"Yaya Beth!" Lizzie exclaimed excitedly.

Beth scooped her up in her arms and carried her into her arms. She gave Lizzie a kiss on the cheek. Nick and Jake just shook hands as they stood near the two.

"I missed you, Yaya!"

"I missed you, my sweet girl. Did you have fun exploring Manila with your dad?"

"Oh yes, yaya! I think we've been to every mall already!"

Beth laughed and turned to Nick. "And how's ye olde credit card?"

"Hurting," Nick laughed as well. "We'll have to ship some boxes back home since I think we have excess excess excess baggage now," he said as he ruffled his daughter's hair.

Gloria opened the gate for them and welcomed them all to her home. She cooked a feast of all of Beth's favorite foods.

"Ma, you have to teach me how to cook this chicken curry again. Ang sarap!"

"Yaya, you know how to cook chicken curry. You've made this at home many times."

"I know, sweet girl, but this one is special. It's Lola's special recipe. Jake, chicken curry is your favorite, right?"

Jake's face broke into a big grin because she remembered without being prompted.

"Yes, my absolute favorite food in the world."

"Then I will definitely give you my recipe, anak," Gloria smiled.

Nick and Lizzie went home first, the latter already asleep by the time they left the Santiagos' house. Beth and Jake were sitting talking with Gloria in the veranda.

"Ma, we couldn't tell you earlier with Nick and Lizzie around, pero engaged na po kami ulit," she turned to Jake and held his hand.

"Ay mabuti naman, mga anak," Gloria kissed both of their cheeks.

"We're just waiting for her annulment then we can begin planning for our wedding," Jake said.

"Babe, it doesn't have to be anything grand. The important thing is you become my husband and I become your wife."

"I love you, baby girl."

"I love you, too."

"Ahem. Umuwi na nga kayo at gabi na. At nilalanggam na ako dito," Gloria laughed.

"Okay, thank you for dinner, ma. I'll come back again soon. Please tell Josh and Caleb we left already."

"Drive safe."

***

They were lying in bed facing each other with their one arm bent to support their heads, just looking at each other.

"Babe, are we just gonna stare at each other all night?"

"Sounds like a good plan, Love."

"Well, I'm tired so...good night!"

She gave his lips a smack and turned her bedside lamp off. She had her back turned to him and tried to keep her fit of giggles in. He turned his bedside lamp off as well and snaked his arm around her waist, lazily kissing her shoulders and neck.

"Babe, I think your dad will be okay with me now. I have a college degree in accounting now. He can't look down on me anymore."

Jake stopped kissing her and spun her around. She remembered something else! A bad memory, but a memory anyway!

"Babe, he's been okay with you for a long time now. He was really helpful during my search for you."

"I know. But I just want you to be with someone you can be proud of."

"I've always been proud of you. What other people say never mattered. You are my love, and I love you for who you are; who you aren't doesn't matter."

He brought his lips down to hers and kissed her slowly, easing away all her doubts with every swipe of his tongue. He nipped at her bottom lip with his teeth, gently nibbling it, causing Beth to moan in pleasure. He cupped her bottom causing her to gasp, and he took the opportunity of her parted lips to slide his tongue back into the warmth of her mouth, twisting with hers in knots.

His hands moved from cupping her bottom to the waistband of her pajamas, finding their way inside, underneath her underwear, and caressed the smooth skin there. She did the same, copying what he was doing, braved doing the same thing to him. He rolled her on top of him, each knee on either side of his hips, lips never parting. Her hands moved to tangle in his hair while his stayed where they were, and began rolling her still clothed hips on his, creating a delicious friction. She couldn't take it anymore and dragged her lips away from his, gasping at the sensation, burying her face into his neck, fingers clawing into his scalp. She drew in a deep breath and stilled. He rolled her under him and finished what they started, taking her higher and higher off the ground for the second time.