The Green Eyed Monster

The following day was a most busy day for Beth and Jenny. Family and friends were scheduled to arrive for the wedding and the two took it upon themselves to be the two-person welcoming committee. They were up early putting together gift baskets to put into each room that were blocked for Jenny's wedding. They were just small baskets containing a small bottle of champagne, two plastic champagne flutes, and a small box of artisan chocolates. They were up early putting them together in Beth's room.

"And that's the last one," Beth exclaimed.

"Sis, thanks for all your help. I know you had a late night and everything."

"Sis, we were all up late last night," Beth evaded whatever Jenny was insinuating.

"Yeah, but, you and Jake were the last ones to leave the club. And I know someone, cough Jake cough, had a hard time saying good night again," she raised her eyebrows up and down. "By the way, I am so happy for you, sis! Jake is a really good guy."

"I know. But it really scares me how close we have gotten and how quickly it has happened. It took a couple of months for me and Alex to become officially a couple, much less have our first kiss."

"So what are you saying? Are you officially together?"

"I don't know. We haven't discussed anything yet."

"Well how do you feel?"

"Great! I like him, I really do. And I want to keep progressing with him. I mean, my brain is saying no, but my heart is screaming yes! I'm a mess right now."

"You're not! You are glowing. I can see your joy from your demeanor. And I can see the same thing with Jake. When Pete first thought of matchmaking you two, I was against it. I've never seen Jake be serious with anyone, after all. He dates here and there, but that's usually the extent of it. But I know he has a good heart. Just misguided. He grew up with everything handed to him, so he has the tendency to take things for granted."

"That's the thing. I'm just handing myself to him. I can't help but think I'm making a huge mistake sometimes."

"Beth, it's your decision. But just remember that I wouldn't consciously put you in a bad spot. I love you. You're my sister from another mister, I always say," Jenny chuckled. "But if you're unsure, just take things slow. Just tell him you can only offer friendship right now and let it grow from there. But at this point, you guys are already beyond all that. Do you think you can still backtrack?"

"I don't know. I'm constantly comparing him to Alex. Not just him, the man, but our relationship. I don't want this to be just lust. I don't want this to be just a holiday fling. I don't want him to be my rebound guy. You know my track record. I've only had one boyfriend and we decided it was for the long haul. I know what I want, but what if that's not what he wants. What if this is just a holiday fling for him? I have so many what ifs!"

"What if he is in love with you?" Jenny butted in. "Only Jake can answer your questions. I think you two need to talk and define your relationship. Maybe you're not boyfriend/girlfriend yet, but you could be exclusively dating."

"I'm not ready to talk to him. Like you said, he only dates around. I don't want to be the silly girl he's kissed a few times who decided to be clingy and get it in her head that those kisses meant something more. Look at him. Look at me. In real life, the two of us would not be together. It's textbook. We're in fantasy land right now."

"I don't know why you don't see yourself the way others see you. Beth, you're pretty, and kind, and smart, and talented...what kind of guy wouldn't fall for you? A stupid one, that's who!" Jenny pinched her nose and gave her a huge grin. "Jake is not stupid. He knows what a treasure is in front of him. Now if only his treasure would realize how special she is..."