Bursting the Bubble

"Baby, when we get home, we have to separate for a while. Your dad's right, we have to be more discrete," Beth said as she cuddled up to him as they sat on the couch watching a pay per view movie but not paying any attention.

"I hate this, love"

"Me too. If I never got in that car accident..."

"Hey, hey, hey. I'm sorry. I didn't mean it," he interrupted her and lifted her chin to face him.

"But it's true. We would be married by now, maybe have a little one already."

"It just wasn't our time yet. I'm sorry, baby, I wasn't thinking. I just can't go back to pretending we're just friends."

"I wouldn't expect you to. Even I can't do that to us. Let's just think about it this way, that we'll just be taking it slow, like the time we were rebuilding after you followed me to Alex's grave and I was so angry at you."

Jake looked at her stunned. He cupped her face in his hands and smiled at her.

"Baby."

"Yes, I remember that."

"That just came to you?"

"I've been remembering quite a bit. Like how you took care of me when I had the flu. You're gonna be an amazing dad someday."

"And you're gonna be an amazing mom," he said with tears in his eyes. "Look how you raised up Lizzie, what more our kids, our own flesh and blood?"

"Baby, I really hope I can give you that gift one day."

"Are you still worried about that?"

"Of course."

"Like I said before, we can seek a lot of options when the natural way doesn't cut it. But until then, try and try until we succeed," he kissed her lips.

"Uh huh," she deepened the kiss. "I won't quit if you won't."

He carried her up into his arms and onto the bed. He took off her blouse and nipped at her torso, her fingers tangling in his hair all the while. He went lower, tugging off her jeans, his lips following the trail. Soon his clothes followed, and they practiced until they got it perfect.

"Love, paano ko kakayanin na hindi kita kasama o katabi until your annulment?"

"Pagpray na lang natin na walang magiging complication sa process," she touched his cheek.

"Of course, babe. Pero sana bukas na bukas single ka na noh?" he joked.

"That would be nice," she yawned. "I love you, babe."

"I love you, too, baby girl."

***

Both of them slept on the last flight of the evening back to LA, her head rested on his shoulder, his head on top of hers. He dropped her off at Nick's house, but before they parted ways, they stayed in his car, kissing each other.

"I'm gonna miss you, love."

"Me, too."

"I live down the street..."

"This is a very long street," she laughed.

"When can I kiss these lips again?"

"Soon."

Jake swooped down on her lips again, letting her feel all the love he had for her in his kiss. She held on tightly to him, returning his kiss with equal fervor, knowing they won't be able to do this for a while. She reluctantly let go of his lips, but kept her hold on him.

"I love you, remember that."

"I love you, too."

"I better go in."

"It's late. Can't you just spend the night at my place?"

"I have to help Lizzie get ready for school in ..." she looked at her watch. It was nearly one in the morning. "...four hours."

"Please, baby?" he pleaded with her, pouting his lips and giving her his best puppy dog eyes.

"Baby, we're never gonna get any sleep."

"I know," he winked at her.

"How can I say no to you?" she giggled.

"Yes!" he kissed her quickly on the lips and drove back to his house.

Jake helped Beth out of the car, didn't bother grabbing their things out of the trunk, and quickly led her to the house and into his room. And they didn't get any sleep, as they both predicted. They just held each other close, sometimes kissing, sometimes talking, sometimes kissing, sometimes laughing, sometimes kissing, sometimes more than kissing, sometimes kissing, sometimes satisfying, sometimes kissing. And when they were done doing all of the above, they started all over again.

***

Beth silently crept into the house, holding her shoes in her hand as not to make any click clack noise against the hardwood floors. She dropped off her bag and shoes in her room first, freshened up in the bathroom before heading back into the kitchen to start making Lizzie's special first day of school French toast.

Nick came downstairs when he smelled the coffee brewing from his room. He greeted Beth with a kiss on the cheek as he poured himself a cup of java.

"Did you just get in?" Nick asked as he slowly sipped his piping hot coffee.

"Yeah," Beth replied, not elaborating.

She soaked some pieces of challah bread in the egg mixture and put some butter on the pan. She took the soaked bread and let it brown on the pan. Nick poured her some coffee, adding some cream and two teaspoons of raw sugar, just the way she liked it, and handed it to her.

"How did it go with the parents?"

"It went really well, especially with Jake's dad. Times have surely changed," she chuckled.

"That's good."

"Yeah, I was prepared for the worst and hoped for the best, so it was a nice surprise. How was your weekend with the little miss."

"Tiring! I love my daughter, truly and deeply, but she is a big ball of energy! So rambunctious! I don't know how you do it," he said with admiration.

"I guess it takes one to rein in one!" she laughed.

Beth pulled out the last batch of toasts and turned off the heat. She excused herself and woke up Lizzie. The little girl excitedly woke up upon hearing Beth's voice and jumped into her nanny's arms.

"I missed you, yaya!"

"I missed you, too, little miss. Now come on, I made your favorite breakfast."

"French toast?" Lizzie's eyes sparkled.

"Yes!" she pinched the little girl's nose.

Lizzie ran down the stairs with Beth yelling for her to be careful. Lizzie quickly jumped up on her seat next to her dad and Nick laughed as he helped her pour some maple syrup on her toast.

The three ate their breakfast in silence, with Nick cleaning up as Beth helped Lizzie get ready for school. She went the the father and daughter duo to Lizzie's school and walked her to the line in front of her classroom. Lizzie had no trouble adjusting, she was just naturally exuberant and made friends easily. Nick dropped her off at their house before going to work, where she immediately went to bed and went to sleep.