Chapter 28 - The end

The hospital corridor was white and clinically clean. There was just one exception - the small puddle of blood beneath Stella's chair. She and a young and nervous policeman were the only ones there.

After all of the chaos, Stella was empty. No thoughts, no feelings and no strength - empty. She sat and stared at the puddle on the floor, almost as if she was hypnotized by it. She was covered with dirt and the blood on her dress was dried up and dark. The hospital staff tried to clean her up, give her new clothes and a calming pill, but she refused.

Everything that happened after the ambulance arrived at the lighthouse was cloudy. Stella only remembered small flashes - being checked by a doctor, Jasper hugging her, the police asking her questions.

She knew that she was free to go and that Jasper and his family were home waiting for her. They tried to convince her to come along when they left the hospital, but she wanted to stay a little bit longer. She wasn't ready to phase reality. The young policeman said that he could look after her and give her a ride when she was ready. That was over an hour ago.

She just sat and stared. The policeman, she had forgotten his name the same second he said it, was patient and gave her space. He just put his jacket over her shoulders and then he left her alone. Once in a while he said something, but she didn't bother to listen or react.

The swinging doors to the corridor opened. It was Ben. He rushed in and embraced Stella. She didn't move. His breath smelled of cigarettes and alcohol.

"Stella," he panted, "thank god you're okay."

Those words woke Stella from her trance. She looked at him with despair in her eyes.

"I'm not okay," she said with a weak voice.

The policeman walked towards them with a steady grasp around his gun.

"Is everything okay here?"

Ben held up his, showing the policeman to stay away.

"Yes, thank you officer, she's my sister."

"Stella," he said, not trusting Ben's words.

Stella nodded and the police gave them their privacy.

"I was so nervous Stella, you don't understand. It's such a relief to hold you in my arms."

"I'm not okay," Stella repeated.

"What? Oh, no, of course not," he said and kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry, that was a stupid thing for me to say. I'm just so happy you're alive. I love you so much, I don't know what I would have done if something would have happened to you. I promise it will all be okay. I will make sure of it."

Stella pushed Tristan away. Her body was shaking.

"Where have you been? It's been hours since I left the party."

"I know. I'm so sorry, Stells."

"Where have you been?"

"Me and a few of the others continued the party. We didn't have our phones on. I came as soon as I found out."

"You and Tessa?"

"Come on Stells. I already feel awful."

In her mind, Stella saw Ben and Tessa drinking, laughing and kissing while she was bein kidnapped. It made her blood boil. She wondered what they were doing when Max shot Winston. Maybe they were having sex. His eyes were shiny, but not from tears. They were shiny because he was wasted. Maybe he had even taken a Basiil pill.

"I hate you," Stella said, cold and emotionless.

"You don't mean that," Ben tried to convince her and put his hand on hers.