Chapter 27 - The escape

Stella and Tristan were stuck in a cold garage with Max. Clouds were covering the stars, making the night pitch dark and there was only a small, flickering light shining above them. There were no neighbours as far the eye could see, nor near enough to hear them scream.

"I didn't mean to spy," Max said while slowly getting up from the floor. Stella and Tristan were standing in front of him. They were holding hands, terrified of what Max was going to say. "Your phone buzzed when you weren't there. I was only going to bring it to you, but then I saw who the text was from. I couldn't resist looking. I had no other choice. I went through your phone and found everything. I mean, everything. All the text about how much you long to get away from here. To get away from me!" Max's voice was hurt and angry. "Do you understand how that feels for me?! It's fucking heartbreaking."

Stella was terrified of Max on the same time that she wanted to comfort him. He deserved better. Just like the first time she met Tristan, she wanted to hug Max and tell him that everything was going to be okay.

"I'm sorry Max," Tristan said with a soft and shameful voice, "I'm so sorry. I was going to tell you, I promise. I just didn't know how. I didn't have the guts to tell you. I'll never leave you, just this home. It's not good for me... it's not good for us."

"Everything was going to be okay. I was going to fix everything. My life would have been good if it wasn't because of the fucking Dives family."

"It's not Stella's fault and it's not Ben's fault. We were born into misery. If it wasn't because of you, I would be dead. I know that. I remember you taking the blame for my mistakes and being beaten for it. I remember hearing your stomach growl from starvation while you gave me your food and saying you weren't hungry. I remember you taking care of me when I was sick, helping me with my homework and teaching me right from wrong. I remember it all and I know I owe you everything. But this is wrong, you know that. This is not you. It's all gone out of control. You need professional help. We can fix this, together. Okay? But you need to let us go."

The silence laid heavy. Max stood still in front of them and let the words sink in. Stella could see her reflection in his watery eyes. She carefully clinched the hand holding Tristan's as a sign of support.

"I love Tristan," Stella whispered to Max, "and I'm very thankful for everything you've done for him." He didn't answer. Stella took it as a good sign and continued with a more stable voice. "I know I can't take your place and I'm not trying to. Instead of losing a brother, you're getting a friend. I'll be good to Tristan, I promise."

Just like with with wild animals, Stella and Tristan were afraid to move in case any quick movements would startle Max and make him attack. After a few seconds of silence, which felt like an eternity, Stella slowly turned to Tristan and gave him a questioning look. He smiled and nodded reassuring.

They let go off each other's hands and turned around to go to the car. Stella's heart was racing. Each small step felt like felt like a huge victory.

All of the sudden, when Stella only had four more steps to the car, Max screamed. She turned around and saw him launch towards her, holding the same rusty knife that Tristan used to cut off her ties.

Before she had time to react, Tristan threw himself in front of her. The knife cut into his soft flesh. He screamed and fell into Stella's arms. She wasn't strong enough to hold him up, so they fell to the ground together. Blood was pumping from the knife wound. More than blood than she had ever seen before.

Max dropped the knife and fell to his knees. His eyes were big and mouth open in disbelief.

"I'm sorry," Max whispered over and over again.