Chapter 7 - Stella's first date

Once again, Stella woke up before the alarm clock rang. It was surprising since she had barely slept at all during the night. At first she didn't want to leave Ben's warm embrace in the movie room and then she was too excited about her date with Tristan to fall asleep.

Stella considered asking her mom if she could borrow a dress for the date. She wanted to look nice for Tristan. But she knew her mom would figure out why she wanted a dress and she wasn't ready to tell people about him. She wanted to keepTristan for herself, at least for a bit longer.

She didn't know how to put on makeup or curl her hair. But after the shower she carefully blow dried and combed her hair, moisturized her skin and put on some lip balm. When she was ready it was still more than an hour left to the date.

Stella and Winston went down to the kitchen. They were the only ones awake in the house. She put on the coffee machine and gave Winston breakfast. Out of habit she started cleaning to make the time pass faster.

Stella was nervous and was left alone with her thoughts. What if Tristan is a serial killer? Or worse, what if he is as perfect as he seemed yesterday. She tried to come up with topics to talk about while she was dusting. Weather, hobbies, movies. No not movies, I haven't seen any movies. Books? No, no one reads anymore.

"Are you cleaning?" Stella turned around and saw Ed standing in the staircase. "You don't have to do that dear. We have a cleaner."

"Oh," Stella said and tried to hide the cloth behind her back. "No, I'm not cleaning. I'm just... well... I'm just looking around."

"I saw you dust the desk," Ed laughed. "You're an angel. I'm very grateful but I think it's time for you to learn how to relax and have fun. Do things a seventeen year old normally does."

"I'm not sure why I lied. Sorry."

Stella rinsed off the cloth and sat down by the kitchen island. Ed poured up two cups of coffee and joined her.

"Speaking of normal things for a teenager, I would love for you to start school again. How do you feel about that?"

Stella took a sip from the cup. She had been away from school for so long, the thought of going back scared her. It would be easier to continue as before. On the same time, she wanted nothing more than to graduate from high school.

"I don't know. I've been away for such a long time. What grade would I start in?"

"I'm not sure. We'd have to meet with the school to discuss it."

"I don't mind working. I want to help out with bills and so on."

"Honey," Ed kissed her forehead, "you've had to carry too much for too long. You don't have to worry anymore. Let me and Diana be the parents and you be the kid."

"I could maybe work as your maid. Clean, cook and wash?"

"I know it's scary, but could you at least come with me to a visit at the school. Please?"

Stella nodded. She would do anything for Ed.

She looked at the clock. It was almost time for her date. She hugged Ed goodbye and started walking to the meeting spot with Winston. She wanted him with as support. Besides, nobody would suspect that she was on a date if she had Winston with her.

Tristan was already at the meeting spot when Stella and Winston arrived. He sat on the hood of his pickup and checked his phone. When he saw Stella and Winston he jumped off and waved to them. His smile was contagious. Stella waved back and Winston started running towards him.

"Hi! How are you?" Tristan said.

"Hi," Stella answered with a weird, high pitch. She cleared her throat. "I'm good. Excited. How are you?"