Chapter 1 - From rags to riches

Stella Nox's mom, Diana, had always been and would probably always be a man-eater. It was ironic since Stella, even though she was seventeen, had never even kissed a guy. She was a loner that only talked to cute boys in her dreams. Little did she know, all of her dreams were about to come true. She was soon about to meet her soulmate, have her first kiss and lose her virginity. Unfortunately, her nightmares were also just around the corner.

Diana's latest project was Edmund Dives - a wealthy man that was old enough to be her dad. The poor guy had no chance against her charming smile and flirtatious eyes. On their six-months-anniversary he proposed to her with a dazzling diamond ring that cost more than Diana's apartment. The answer was an ear deafening, joyful "yes" that echoed throughout the town.

Now, a few weeks later, Stella and Diana were going to spend the summer with Edmund and his son Benjamin at their beach house. The house was in Alvik. Stella had never been there before, but she had read about it in the gossip papers, so she knew it was a notorious playground for the rich and beautiful during the summer.

They had been in Edmund's car, an electric jeep, for hours when they finally reached the gravel road in the forest that led up to the final destination. Edmund was driving, Diana sat next to him with her hand on his thigh and Stella sat in the back with her dog, Winston, sleeping in her lap.

Stella cranked down the window and took a deep breath. A chill of excitement spread through her body and left goosebumps as evidence. The air was fresh and warm. She could hear birds chirping and the wind travelling between the trees. She had never been outside the city before. It felt strange to not be overwhelmed by loud noises and strange smells. She stretched her arm out the car window and watched as the trees' shadows danced on her pale skin.

"Now we're almost there," Edmund said, looking at Stella and her mom with a big smile on his face. "Are you guys ready to see your new home?"

Edmund, or Ed as he insisted to be called, was a nice guy. Even though he was eighteen years older than Diana, they almost looked the same age. He was very handsome. Thanks to his personal trainer, weekly visits to the saloon and vitamins promising eternal life, he had a youthful look. Although a bit dorky, he made Stella laugh. And above all, he was kind. Unlike Diana's exes, he actually cared about them both.

When Stella was younger and Diana brought home a new guy, she hoped and thought they would become a happy family. In the beginning they often were. However, it always ended the same way - misery. Stella quickly realised that the guys her mom dated couldn't care less about her and only dated Diana for her looks. 

After countless disappointments, Stella stopped hoping. She didn't even bother to learn their names. In the beginning of her mom's and Ed's relationship, Stella refused to meet him. She thought he would be just like the other guys and didn't see the point. Ed, thankfully, didn't take no for an answer. 

One day, out of nowhere when Stella was home alone, the doorbell at their old apartment rang. At first she thought Diana had forgotten her keys, but when that happened she usually banged the door with her fists and complained loudly. Then Stella remembered that they were late with rent. It wasn't the first time and the landlord had often threatened them with eviction. She was certain he was there to throw them to the curb. Her heart started beating faster and faster.

When Stella carefully opened the door she saw a middle-aged man with grey strands in his hair and a kind eyes. He had a golden rolex on his wrist and behind him was a luxurious car guarded by a nervous chauffeur. Stella immediately realised it was Ed. Before she had time to tell him that her mom wasn't at home, he gave her a warm hug and said that he was excited to finally meet his new daughter. Stella's high walls melted like ice.