Chapter 2 - The mystery begins

"Can I come in?" Ben asked while leaning towards the doorway to Stella's room. He crossed his arms, which enhanced his tanned, glowing and muscular arms. Stella had to rub her eyes to ensure that she wasn't dreaming. When she realised that it was real life she nodded and sat up in bed. Fumbling, she put up her hair in a messy bun and pathetically tried to straighten her worn, second-hand t-shirt. Ben walked passed her and sat down in the chair by the desk. "You know what," he laughed, "I don't think I've heard your voice yet."

Stella felt dizzy. Her mind was blank. Not a single word came to mind. She usually hated when her mom interrupted her, but now she wished Diana would barge in and steal the limelight. Ben didn't seem bothered by the silence, but Stella felt a growing anxiety. Finally, she cleared her throat and said:

"Hi."

Her voice was weak and hesitant. It sounded more like a question than a greeting. Stella wanted to sink through the ground. She felt like a small and helpless mouse trying to impress a proud and noble lion.

When Stella was younger she had many friends, but the number decreased each year. The last two years she had basically only spent time with her dog, her mom and her grandma. She didn't mind, but spent a lot of time daydreaming that she was popular. Therefore, when she heard about the move to Alvik and that she was going to live with her new brother, her heart almost exploded with excitement. She wanted them to become best friends and immediately started to make a long list of questions and topics for them to talk about, but Ben's jaw-dropping looks made it hard for her to function around him.

"Hi," Ben answered with a smile and tender voice. "I'm happy to finally meet you. I've really looked forward to it. I hope we're gonna be good friends."

Just like that, almost like a spell, he made her feel comfortable. She could breathe and think again.

"Me too. I'm excited! This place is amazing. I can't believe I live here."

"Good, I'm happy you like it. Hopefully it won't take long until it feels like home. I'll do my best."

Ben whistled at Winston. He laid in his bed in the corner of the room, but was happy to run to Ben and jump up in his lap. They already looked like best friends.

"I haven't had any siblings before. It feels strange... Good strange."

"Well," Ben smiled, "now you have an army. Ed has more children than I can count, but most of them live in other towns. It's nice that it's only you and me this summer."

"That sounds scary. I really hope you will like me... I don't mean you-you. I mean all of you. But of course I want you to like me too, you know..."

"Don't worry." Ben cut off her rambling. "I'm the worst of the bunch and you've already charmed me." His kind words made her blush. She bent her head to hide her rosy cheeks. While looking down, she could feel his eyes caressing her body. "Have we met before?"

The question made Stella laugh. The thought of Ben in her neighbourhood was hilarious. He wouldn't last a second in the sketchy part of town. However, the thought of her being in the fancy part of town was even funnier. She couldn't even get a job as a cleaner there.

"No," Stella giggled, "I sincerely doubt we've ever been at the same place before."

"I'm serious." Ben moved Winston from his lap and got up from the chair. He sat down next to Stella on the bed. "It's something about your eyes." He gently grasped her chin and brought her face closer to his. "It feels like I've met you before."

His soft touch gave her goosebumps. Their lips were only a few inches away from each other. It felt like electricity between them.

"Trust me," Stella whispered, "I would remember if I'd met you before."