Chapter 6 - Save me

Stella could see Winston's face through the cloudy water. He desperately tried to get her towards the surface. He refused to let go of her even though it was hopeless. She tried to push him away, but she was too weak. She didn't care if she died, but Winston had to live.

Stella had no more air left in her lungs. Her eyelids were too heavy to keep up. All went black. It was calm. She had come to peace with her destiny. She was drowning.

Suddenly, Stella felt someone grab her arms. Air. She could finally breathe again. Stella took as many and as deep breaths as she could.

She could hear a voice, but couldn't make out the words. The sun was bright and the waves kept washing over her. All she could focus on was to stay alive. She tried getting further away from the water by pushing down whoever saved her.

"Calm down," Ben screamed. His voice shot through the madness. Their eyes met and suddenly a calm came over her. "Stella, I need you to calm down! Trust me."

Stella stopped flapping around. She took a deep breath, put her arms around his neck and rested her forehead against his. She needed to rest and collect her thoughts. I trust Ben. I trust Ben with my life. She nodded, closed her eyes and relaxed her body. He moved her on his back and started swimming.

"Make sure you have a good grip around my neck and clasp your legs around my waist," Ben said. Stella opened her eyes. They were at the cliff. She did as he told her. Her heart was beating like a drum against his back. "Do you have a good grip?"

"Mhm."

Ben started climbing up the cliff. He didn't even seem bothered by Stella's weight. The same second he reached the flat land she lost all powers. She fell from Ben's back, hit the ground and started coughing water. Winston ran up to Stella and started licking her face. She wanted to hug him, but was too weak.

"I'm so sorry," Tessa said with her hand crossed together in a prayer. "It was only a joke. I never wanted to hurt you. Please forgive me."

"Back off," Ben roared. "She needs space." He caressed her head. His voice got soft again. "Are you okay?"

Stella nodded. As long as Ben was with her, she was safe.

When Stella was back to normal they packed their things together and took the boat back to the house. This time nobody laughed when Stella asked for a life vest. Kian drove. Ben wanted to sit next to Stella. He held her in his arm and she held Winston in hers.

Back at the house Ben told everyone to go home. Tessa tried to stay. She wanted to spend more time with Ben, but he refused.

"Are you sure you don't need a doctor?" Ben asked Stella for the tenth time. They were sitting by the kitchen island."You swallowed a lot of water."

Stella was exhausted and frail. But she was alive. She just needed to rest.

"I'm sure, I'd just be wasting their time. I'm okay. Thanks to you."

"I can't believe Tessa did that." Ben slammed his fist on the bench.

"It's not her fault. She thought I could swim. She even asked me. I was just too embarrassed to... to tell her I couldn't...It's my own fault."

"You're unbelievable," Ben laughed.

"What?"

"Tessa almost killed you and you are defending her. You are way to nice for your own good... but I like it."

"Well, I'm almost happy she did. Now she has to like me."

Ben laughed and gave Stella a friendly push. He took an ice cream from the freezer and two spoons from the drawer. He opened the ice cream and gave one of the spoons to Stella.

"I'm sorry she's so rude to you. It's not like her. She's actually nice."

"It's okay. I understand that it's weird for her. I'm a stranger that's barging in to her life. I just really want her to like me. I mean, she's your girlfriend."

"You shouldn't care what people think about you. You're awesome. If someone can't see that, it's their problem."

Stella considered telling Ben about Tristan. She was proud that she had made a friend of her own. That someone liked her for her. Not because their parents were engaged, or any other reason. But she didn't. She wanted to keep Tristan for herself for a bit longer. Mostly because she didn't want Tristan to change his idea of her.

"Well," Stella said and took a bite, "that's easy for you to say."

"What do you mean?"

"Come on. Everyone lights up when you enter a room. It's like you're a movie star. Everyone wants to talk to you, to have your attention. The way you talk and move, it's all mesmerizing."

"Mesmerizing." Stella blushed. "I don't think I've been called that before. Well... " Ben said and put down his spoon. "I think you're mesmerizing. I just wished you could see it yourself."

They looked at each other. The silence was intense. Stella felt an urge to kiss him. She wondered if he felt the same. No. Of course not. He's just nice to me because I'm his younger sister. Stella broke their contact and focused on the ice cream.

"That's nice of you. Thanks."

"Hey, Ed texted me that he and Diana will be eating out tonight. He wonders if we want to join them." Before Stella could answer, Ben continued. "Let's order pizza and watch a movie"

Stella was confused. She knew it wasn't normal that she wanted to kiss her brother. Calm down. He just saved my life, I'm just experiencing a weird version of the hero-complex.

It was all too much for Stella to handle. Just a few days ago she was devastated over her grandmother's death and worrying about bills in a grubby apartment. Except for Winston, she was alone. No one cared if she ate or wondered how her day had been. Now, she lived in a luxurious house with a filled fridge and family members that took care of her.

The change was too big and it went too fast. Ed and Ben were more than Stella could ever hope for. They were kind, caring and generous. She was thankful, she finally had a family. That was her biggest dream. But it was also scary. Now that she had everything, she was afraid to lose it.

Diana's relationships never lasted. They were always a whirlwind. Stella had even lost count of all times Diana had been engaged. It was always perfect in the beginning, but after a few months of paradise it always went to hell. She was terrified the same thing would happen with Ed. She didn't want to lose him or Ben.

Ben and Stella couldn't decide which pizza they wanted, so they ordered all of them. After they'd eaten a few slices they went to the movie room. Ben wanted to show Stella his favourite movie.

Ben sat down in the corner of one of the sofas and opened his arms.

"Come on over trouble maker."

"I'm not the trouble maker," Stella said and crawled into his arms. "You're the bad influence."

Winston jumped up on the sofa. He cozied in by their feet. Ben's warm embrace felt like home. She felt safe. She knew their relationship was special. Even if it ended between Diana and Ed, Ben would never leave her.

After only a few minutes into the movie Stella could hear Ben snoring. He was probably exhausted. He had worked all night and then saved a life. She lowered the volume so he wouldn't wake up.

Stella's phone buzzed. It was a text from Tristan. "Good night. Looking forward to tomorrow :)". Stella got butterflies in her stomach.