Chapter 23 - Let's run away together

Tristan dropped his chin when he saw Stella in her red, satin dress. His reaction made her cheeks match the dress. He walked up to her and kissed her passionately.

"You look amazing," he said as their lips let go of each other.

"Thank you. I got it from mom and Ed. Or I guess I should call him dad now."

They took the car to the light house. Like they'd done so many times before they laid on the trunk of the car and watched the sky as they talked and listened to the radio. Stella told Tristan about the adoption and the rehearsal dinner, but she skipped the gloomy parts.

"That sounds amazing," he said. "I'm sure you made a good impression."

"Yeah, I can't believe that's going to be my family. They are all so colourful, captivating and kind."

"So are you. Hey, I'm really happy to see you tonight, but shouldn't you be with them now?"

"They are practicing the first dance now. All the children and their partners are part of it but my mom didn't think it would be a good idea for me to be part of it."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah, it sucks. I usually like being in the background but I would really like to be part of that family moment."

Tristan got up from the trunk and walked up to the front seat. He started searching for new radio channels and didn't stop until he found a calm, romantic song. He raised the volume and turned on the backlights. When he came back to her she looked at him with a puzzled look.

"May I have this dance," he asked, reached out his hand and bowed.

"Yes you may my good sir," Stella laughed.

Stella took his hand and he helped her down from the car and led her into the spotlight of the car. He put his hand on her lower back and they slowly moved to the rhythm of the song. Right then and there, everything was perfect.

"I love you Tristan," Stella whispered in his ear.

"I love you Stella."

"I wish this moment would last forever."

"It will, in my mind this moment will last forever."

When the song ended they kissed and fireworks exploded inside of her. She loved him with such burning power that it almost hurt.

After almost an hour in their love bubble Stella had to get back to the rehearsal dinner. Tristan drove Stella back to their normal meeting point.

"What do you think about the names Connor and Iris?" Stella asked.

"For our dogs or our children?" Tristan answered.

"Children," she laughed and hit his arm.

"As long as I'm the dad to your children I'm happy and they can be named whatever you like."

"Or maybe Evi, after my grandma."

"You know what, I found a cabin that would be perfect for us. It's small, but big enough for us and it's by the water. Just like we've talked about."

"Let's buy it. Do you think they'll accept smiles and compliments as payment?"

"Actually, it's Billy's place and he said we could live there for almost nothing if we wanted to. He never has time to go there and it's not fancy enough for the rich summer folks. We'd basically do him a favour. Houses need someone to live there and take care of them."

"Who is Billy?"

"He's my boss at the cinema. I've had a break during the summer, but I usually work there a few times a week."