Chapter 9 ~ The Event

Alberto's POV 

Rosa's parents were greeting everyone while we were setting up Massimo's fish stand. Rosa was nowhere to be seen. Guido was helping Ciccio and his grandma. He was wearing an orange sweater with khaki pants and white slip-ons. Ciccio was wearing a green flannel with a white tank top under and jeans. He also had green and white sneakers. 

"I'm gonna go say hi to my friends Dad" I told Massimo.

"Go ahead, mio figlio" he said.

"Thanks" I said, hugging him.

 I walked toward them and waved.

"Hey guys!" I called to them.

"Woah are you wearing makeup?" Ciccio asked getting close to my face.

"Uh no" I said putting my glasses to cover it up.

"No dude its cool" Guido reassured me.

"Then yes, yes I am" I answered.

"Do you guys wanna walk around? It's kind of boring" Guido asked.

"Sure" Ciccio answered.

--------------

Luca's POV

It felt like we'd been swimming around for forever. It was roughly 15 minutes after we left my house.

"Getting tired kid?" Ugo asked.

"I'm ok" I replied.

"Listen kid, living down there won't be easy but your parents think it's what's best for you. I only want to help. Don't think I don't consider you" he said after letting out a loud sigh.

"I understand. What is it like in the deep?" I wondered.

"It's exactly like this" he said.

"Really?" I cried with a glimpse of hope.

"But darker, colder, more dangerous and less food. And as you know lacks oxygen" he added.

"Is it that bad" I inquired pleading for him to say he was joking.

"You'll get used to it" he informed me.

After this there was plain silence. Just us swimming for about an hour. The water had begun to get colder and I could feel all the pressure in my head. I was starving as I had barely touched my plate earlier. I was exhausted and injured in at least 3 places. I was practically dragging myself through the water. We weren't even close to the deep and I already felt like I was dying. How was I supposed to survive down there. Especially with my Uncle Ugo, who I only saw at holidays. Why did my parents think this was ok?

"We're taking a bathroom break" he announced.

"Ok" I muttered.

"I'll go over there. You go over there. We meet up here. Don't try and be smart" he specified.

And that was exactly what I was gonna do.

------------------

Alberto's POV

We'd been laughing while walking around and avoiding the commotion of the celebration. I noticed Rosa had made an appearance but tried my best to ignore it.

"You never ended up telling us why you never went out with Luca" Ciccio mentioned.

"And after dressing you up and everything" Guido joked.

"Well first of all don't say 'went out' with him because that alludes to a date. Which is definitely not what that was. There's nothing between us. He's just my best friend who I admire and wouldn't mind if he had feelings for me. That's all." I sputtered before taking a sip of fruit punch.

"And I didn't go because- because I didn't feel like it. Even if I really wanted to be alone with him. I just wanted time for myself for a bit ok?" I rambled.

They both stared at me for a moment. I wasn't sure why.

"Alberto, you don't have to do the whole 'best friend' thing around us" Guido said, placing his hand on my shoulder. 

I felt so embarrassed. He was right, but I wasn't ready to admit it yet. 

"You don't see Guido doing it" Ciccio chuckled. 

I looked over to my left where Guido was looking at the floor trying to hide his bright red face. How did I not notice it before?

"Wait-" I was about to say when I felt a tap on my back and sure enough it was her. 

"Oh hi" I said to her, forcing a smile.

"Come to the middle, we're doing this now" she demanded.

---------------

Luca's POV

I had very few time to get out of my uncle's sight and get the furthest I could. There wasn't much around except a few rocks and some seaweed. I quickly constructed a Smuca and placed it where I should've been.

"Are you you done?" Ugo asked.

I swam as fast as I could toward the light.

"Kid?" I heard from afar.

The fear made me forget all the pain and hunger I had. 

"KID!?" my uncle yelled, hoping for my response.

He continued to shout and I heard him getting closer but I was so tired. I lied behind a rock. I rested like this for a while and everything quieted down so I assumed he gave up. I started back up again. I had no idea where I was going and the sun started going down. I just followed my gut and hoped for the best. I'd lost track of time at this point but I hadn't stopped swimming even if I was near numb. The sun had already gone down and the water was pretty dark. I hadn't even noticed there was something in front of me. It was land! I grabbed onto the edge of whatever was there to gather up enough stamina to pull myself out of the water. 

Suddenly I felt something brush against my tail. I sort of panicked and attempted to at least prop myself on the land. This was no help as I was pulled back into the water.

"I told you not to do that" my uncle said in an attempt to be scary. 

He gripped onto my wrist and began pulling me back on track to where we were supposed to go. I was not going to be defeated after trying this hard.

"AHHHHH" he screamed after I but his arm so he would let me go.

I bolted out of the water and quickly dried myself. I ran to the town where he would be less likely to go or to find me. I noticed everyone paying attention to something going on in front of the fountain. I took a glance at what was happening.

"Rosa Leone, will you be my girlfriend?"

Alberto?

Mariana?

A/N

I know that you guys have waited long for this moment so please let me know if you enjoyed it. Tysm for everyone who has stuck through this far. No it's definitely not the end but it's been a journey that I'm grateful to have shared with you all. Please let me know what you think of my story and my writing and please be honest as I'm always trying to improve and be the best i can for you guys. Not only did my story get 5k+ reads but I also reached 50+ followers and I cannot thank you guys enough for supporting me and encouraging me. You guys are some of the most comforting people I've ever encountered. You've helped me in so many ways. As always remember to vote and comment on my stories. I absolutely love reading your comments (if i hadn't already made that clear lmao) and do go through every single one even if I don't respond. I love yall <3