Chapter 13 ~ They Know

TW: Cursing

Luca's POV

I froze. I wasn't sure what to do. I knew that no matter what I did, nothing good would come out of it.

"Thank goodness you're ok" she said coming to hug me. I could feel her insincerity. Her lies. Her manipulation. 

"Mhm" I murmured with no other option. 

She investigated my face, twisting and turning my head. Pulling and tugging my ears and nose. Checking my hair.

"I'm fine" I stated coldly.

I avoided all eye contact with her. I felt so betrayed by her. So disgusted. I couldn't believe it.

"Cheer up, bubbles. I'm here" she said smiling.

"Whatever he did to you, it won't happen anymore. I promise" she whispered grabbing my hand.

"What" I uttered in shock. I pulled my hands away from her.

She grabbed my wrist harder. 

"Let's go home" she commanded.

"But-" 

I looked back and saw Alberto. He was trembling. His eyes were watering and he was nervously looking at my mom. He had his knees folded into his chest. He was hiding his sniffles. He looked pale. I felt so bad. He didn't deserve this. He was so happy before this. We were so happy before this.

"Don't you defend that delinquent. He's done nothing good for you. He corrupted your sweet, innocent mind"

"I-I didn't mean to" Alberto cried.

"Bullshit" my mom scoffed.

"Don't talk to my son that way" Massimo pointed at my mom. I'd never seen him get angry.

"I can talk to him however I want. He's not even your son. He's a charity case you picked up because no one wanted him" she responded.

I was shocked. How dare she?

Alberto stared at her and tears wouldn't stop flowing out of his eyes. I could hear his breathing getting faster and faster. His sniffles getting louder and louder. His lips quivering more and more.

Massimo cleared his throat.

"I think you should worry more about your son than mine. Must be exhausting having a mom like you" he said.

"My son has been great until he met this miscreant. He's done things to my child. Indescribable things" she yelled. 

"I was forced to" Alberto mumbled quietly.

-----------------------

Alberto's POV

Everyone stared at me. I felt so ashamed. So scared. Everyone went quiet, Giulia turned around. Massimo raised his eyebrows. Daniela let go of Luca. Luca's mouth opened slightly.

"What" Giulia blurted out.

"My girlfriend, Rosa" I started.

"She- well it's all fake. Everything" I continued.

"One day, the day I was supposed to eat with Luca, she basically kidnapped me. She told me that I had to do whatever she told me or else-" 

I paused as a knot formed in my throat.

"Or else she'd do something to my loved ones or...um" I looked at Luca in hopes he'd understand. His expression remained the same.

"The first order was to stop talking to Luca. I was stupid and stubborn so I didn't follow this order. That's where she threw him off my tower- or something like that. I'm not sure, I didn't see it. Point is, I got another order. A bigger one. She made me steal a ruby necklace from the jewelry store Mrs. Cortez works at. With this I was supposed to do some sort of proposal in front of everyone. I needed to ask her to be my girlfriend. I didn't know she was Luca's ex-girlfriend until Giulia told me. I didn't mean to cause any of this. I didn't want to hurt anybody. I'm sorry. I know I should've talked before but I was scared" 

"Now If I may be excused"

 I cleared my throat and got up. I walked to my room and closed the door. I leaned on the door and took a deep breath. I felt so numb. I wanted to cry but I couldn't. This made me feel even more frustrated. I just stood there against the door and stared at the floor. 'Why' flooded my mind. Why was everything like this? Why can't I ever be happy. Life with my dad was going pretty well. He'd teach me about the human world. He'd tell me stories about his adventures. Then he left. My world fell apart. I was a child. I was alone. For a while it was just me. Then by some miracle I made a friend. We got along great. He kept me company and we had fun. But then he had to leave too. I couldn't blame him for wanting to explore. I couldn't stop him either. Then I found a new dad. I wanted to impress him so bad that I fucked up. I made him lose all his fish, I made him lose clients, I almost made him lose his cat, I messed up his kitchen and burned his boat. He stayed with me though. I appreciate that. After, my friend finally came back. Things were different now though. Things felt different. Because of that I was forced to push him away. Because I'm fucking gay and I've never be able to change that no matter how hard I've tried. No matter how many years I've hid it. I can't and will never live the life I dreamed of with a wife and kids. I'll never feel anything for that poor woman I'd be tricking. I'd probably still be drooling over my best friend. 

"Alberto?" I heard Luca say outside my door.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. What my mom said was really messed up and I didn't know you were going through all that" he said.

"I'm fine. Thank you though" I sniffled.

"Beto?" he said in the voice that always made me melt.

"Yeah?"

"What happens now? You know since you told all of us. What will she do?" he asked sounding worried.

I turned around and opened my door to see him. I gestured for him to come in. There was a long pause of silence while he sat against my bed and I sat next to him.

"I don't know" I told him and a single tear fell down my face.

He put his head on my shoulder. I blushed a bit and slightly rested my head on his. 

"We'll get through this together" he smiled.

We sat in peace and silence together until we drifted off to sleep.

---------------------

I woke up and we were in the same place from last night. I felt calm. I felt happy for once.

I could hear footsteps running up the stairs. I didn't want anyone to see us like this so I quickly picked up Luca and placed him on my bed.

He looked angelic.

I grabbed a sheet and laid down on the floor. I could hear my doorknob turning. Giulia stomped in and I sat up pretending to just now wake up. Luca woke up too.

"They know" 

--------------------

A/N

Here I am on a school night finally updating this shit. It was about time. I missed writing so much but I didn't have much time nor inspiration. I felt so bad for Alberto this whole chapter. I might be doing a little projection just maybe. But anyways lmk how you liked this chapter. Remember to please please please comment. Comments are the reason I write. Votes are greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and being so patient with me. I love you guys so much