Chapter 2 ~ Insecurities

Alberto's POV 

Guilia and I walked home after helping Luca unpack. I went up to my room and lay on my bed.

 Luca thinks someone is special. Luca thinks a girl is special. I mean I knew it would happen one day but a girl? I don't know, I guess I was just hoping he was like me...but I should be happy that he's normal. Right? He's my best friend and I should just want him to be happy. But what if he doesn't like people like me. How would I even tell him. I won't tell him. It would change everything if he ever found out. I'd ruin everything. It's better if he never knows. He'd leave me just like my dad.

I tossed around in bed thinking about everything that could happen until I fell asleep.

------------------

Morning came around and I was ready to go see Luca and show him around Portorosso. 

"Hey Guilia, I'm going to get gelato with Luca so don't worry if I'm back late." I said, eager to head out.

"I'll do you one better and go with you" she said, inviting herself.

"No one invited you" I said annoyed.

"You'll need some type of supervision on your date" she answered, with a smile on her face.

"Well are you ready or not? 'Cuz I'm leaving right now" I asked, avoiding her mention of a date.

She threw on a sweater and we headed out the door to Luca's house.

------------------

Luca's POV

I heard knocking at the door so I went over to check.

"Hey, Luca!" Alberto said excited.

"We're going out for gelato. Wanna come?" Guilia followed up with.

"Yeah!" I said, looking over at my mom who I forgot was nearby.

"As long as he's back for dinner" my mom responded.

"No worries, Mrs. Paguro" Alberto said, grabbing my wrist and rushing me out the door.

"Ouch"

"Sorry, I'm just excited you're back" he said, still pulling me from the arm but being more careful this time.

"Relax, I'll still be here tomorrow" I joked.

"Don't act like you didn't talk about Alberto the entire time" Guilia said, making me embarrased.

"Oh so you missed me huh?" Alberto said, turning a bright red but trying to hide it. 

Did he turn red because he was weirded out or because he was mad? Or could it be...no it can't be.

"We're here" Alberto said, gesturing at a small gelateria.

"Great! Can I have a chocolate, strawberry and a mint please" Guilia said, handing 3 euros to the clerk. 

We sat down with our ice creams.

"So Alberto what did you do this whole time?" I asked him.

"Well I've been working as a lifegaurd on weekends. I've also picked up a hobby. Wood carving! It's so much fun, I'll make you one someday" he answered, seeming really interested about it.

"Isn't that kind of dangerous though? Like you could cut youself or get splinters or-"

"Aw you're worried about me. You're adorable" he said, quickly changing his face.

"I mean it's adorable the fact that you care" he rambled.

"What am I even here for? You're doing it all by yourself" Guilia said, getting up.

"I'm heading home now. Have fun!" she said, walking away.

"That was weird. Anyway wanna go for a swim?" Alberto asked.

"That sounds good" I said.

"Ok, lets go!" he said, signaling for me to follow him.

------------------

Alberto's POV

We got to the shore where we first met. So many memories.

"Remember when you didn't know how to walk?" I said, chuckling.

"You're tips didn't help" he answered back laughing.

"Well then what are you doing now?" I responded, smirking.

"Breathing" he said, sarcasitically before running in the water where his pale skin turned into beautiful bright green scales and his chocolate brown eyes turned yellow.

I jumped into the water, chasing him as I turn into my sea monster form.

"Humans made you sassy huh?" I asked, teasing him.

"Humans are exhausting." he said, sitting on a nearby rock.

I chuckled at his comment.

"Who have you been spending your time with? Or are you just a loner when I'm not here?" he asked.

"Guido and Ciccio, they're pretty chill" I responded.

"Ercole's goons?" he asked, confused.

"Well yeah, but they're nothing like Ercole. He's just their boss. You should meet them sometime" I said, reassuring there was no issue.

"Oh ok, I'd love to" he answered, looking more comfortable.

"What about you? Any new friends from school?" I asked. Of course I was interested in what happened at school but I wanted to know more of this Mariana girl.

"Not many close friends, but I did meet my classmates and stuff" he said.

"What about Mariana? What is that all about, Lover Boy?" I said, teasing him even if it pained me.

"Oh. She's kind of my ex" Luca said.

I was heartbroken.

"Look at you getting girls" I said, trying to mask what I shouldn't have been feeling.

"Just one girl. And we're not together anymore" he said rubbing the back of his neck.

"That's one more than me" I said.

Maybe because you're gay,  Alberto.

"Um, it's getting late. Your mom would be mad if you miss dinner" I said, trying to change the conversation.

"Right" he said, sounding disappointed.

We headed out the water and to his house. 

------------------

We got to Luca's house and I was ready to say goodbye.

"Hey, Berto?" Luca said, turning to me shyly.

"Yeah?" I asked, worried.

"Are you free on tommorow to go eat somewhere?" he asked, looking up at me with his face bright red.

"Yes! I mean, yeah I am" I answered, my heart dancing around. Was this really happening?

"Great! So I'll see you then" he said, smiling.

"Ok! Bye" I said waving as he entered his house.

Did Luca just ask me on a date? 

------------------

A/N

Hope you liked this chapter. I kind of got excited and made it really long. Hope you're excited to see where this journey goes! If you have any suggestions for this story or tips please tell me! 

Thank you! Have a great day!