Chapter Forty-One

That was the last thing that I heard before passing out. I tried fighting it. I tried keeping my eyes open. But the shock of living dummies and the excruciating pain due to that gunshot wound had sucked out what was left of my strength. I gave into the darkness. Then it changed to a short yet bizarre dream. It was about me and Jack. I mean, Jetzid.

You know when two characters race to each other with glee - or wanting to punch the other - they always go in slow motion? This is what happened in my dream. The dummy was in his human form and running with open arms, ready to hug me. I was doing the same with a big smile on my face. We were in front of this breathtaking sunset. I knew that we were not in Forlot. Both the sun and the little stars cannot be seen there. Do not ask me or my neighbors why. The purple sky has something to do with it, I guess.

Jetzid and I finally hugged. He whispered in my ear. "I missed you so much."

I gripped the back of his jacket and laid my head on his shoulder. "Not as much as I missed you. Woah!"

He grabbed my waist and hoisted me into the air. Then he spun me around. "I promise to never let you go." He set me down and moved his hands to my lower back.

I laughed as I swung my arms around his neck. "Hmm. Is that a threat?"

His smile faded. "Just because I turned your sister into a doll does not mean that I will hurt you and the rest of your family. I would not hurt you even if someone held a gun to my head and ordered me to. I would rather be dead than watch you die."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "But you are really a dummy. You were created as a dummy with magical powers." A gasp fell out from my throat. I smacked my hands over my mouth. I had called him a dummy - twice. "Jetzid, I am sorry for calling you a dummy. Guess that I am still not used to having a powerful dummy for a boyfriend." I clenched my fists. "Ugh! I said it again!"

I was ready for Jetzid to scold me or probably threaten me. He despises the word so much that he makes those who call him so miserable. But he never murders them because death is too merciful for people just like them. He explained that to me. I wholeheartedly agree. There are worse things than death.

Jetzid chuckled. "I never realized just how cute you are when you are frustrated."

I unclenched my fists and played with my fingers. "You are not mad at me?"

He held my face. "I can never be mad at you. I love you with all my heart. I can say this because whenever I am human, I have a beating heart. It beats only for you."

"What about your family?"

"What about them?"

I laid my hand where his heart is. Thud, thud! I felt the heart thudding against his chest. "Your heart must also be beating for your family and friends. And Olive."

Jetzid tossed back his head. "Oh. Olive is so precious. I never knew exactly what to expect from an infant. Now that I have gotten to know your sister..." He gazed back at me. "...I cannot stop spending time with her."

"Same here. She is irresistible, especially whenever she shows us those puppy eyes." I felt something on my leg and glanced down. "Olive?"

Olive was sitting by me while patting my leg. She gazed up at me and giggled.

"Look who is here, Jetzid." I picked her up and cradled her. "The cutie must have followed us."

She grabbed my cheeks and struggled to talk.

"Awe. She is trying to speak," Jetzid said.

I gazed into her tiny eyes. "What do you want to tell us, Olive? Come on. You can do it."

She pouted. "Wake up."

I gave her a confused look. "You want us to wake up?"

"Sister."

"But I am already awake."

Jetzid put his hand on my shoulder. "It is time to wake up, Janice."

I scrunched up my face. "Why are you telling me that?" I gently pried Olive's little hands off my cheeks and put them on her belly. "I am not in the slightest bit tired."

"I know. That is why you must awaken now. You are in a dream."

"I am in a dream?"

He nodded and grabbed my other shoulder. "Wake up, Janice. Wake up."

Now I was disturbed. "How can I when I am awake?"

"This may be a dream, but I am real. I used my powers to slip into your dream. I wanted to keep you company until you woke up."

My eyes fell to the ground. "So...if it is a dream...where am I really? Where are we?"

"Close your eyes. Then you will awaken."

I looked around. Then at Olive. Then back at him. "Uh, can you hold my hand?"

"I was going to anyway." He took my hand and planted a kiss on my cheek.

My face burned. "You...you kissed my cheek."

He smirked. "Do you want me to kiss your lips?"

"Um..."

"I promise to kiss you on your lips when you wake up."

"I will make sure that you do not forget."

He kissed the top of my hand. "Not a problem, Janice." He pressed his nose against mine. "I look forward to it. And I will make Matita pay."

That name sounded familiar. Then it came back to me. I closed my eyes - and felt someone slapping my face.

I opened my eyes and bolted up in a hospital bed. I did not have any time to scan the place or do anything else - except scream.

In front of me was Matita.

"Miss me?"