Chapter Twenty-Nine

I felt sick to my stomach. I figured that I would faint. I do not know if my anxiety was kicking in or I was truly sick. I just knew that I was not well. I wanted to get out of this house. I wanted to make a run for it. But I could not leave. I needed to know what was in the attic.

"What are you hiding from me, Jack?" I said under my breath. "What are you hiding from the world?"

The dummy must have heard me somehow because he asked, "What was that, Janice? What did you say?" He was behind me, which made me uncomfortable. "What is the matter? Does Jack have your tongue?" He poked my leg. "Then that would mean—"

"Enough," Jack interrupted. "That is enough. Please do not embarrass Janice. I want her to be comfortable."

Too late for that.

He flashed me a smile. "I do not want you to be scared, Janice. Not of me or my friend or what we are about to show you. You are the only girl for me. I do not want to be with another girl because...I love you."

My eyes widened when Jack said those magical words. I love you. The sickening feeling did not disappear, but it was not as bad. I felt like that I was on a cloud. I had grown wings and was flying. I wish that I could fly. Oh, man. I did not expect him to say that. I love you.

I giggled and brought my face close to his. "I am happy that you love me because I love you too! Actually, I will take it back."

He held my face. "Do not take that back. I beg of you. I do not know what I would do if you did not love me."

The dummy walked around us and crossed his arms. "I cannot wait until our pal returns. He will never believe that you found your soulmate. He will begin preparing the wedding."

"'Wedding'?" I repeated.

"He is just kidding," Jack reassured me. "We cannot be married until we get to know each other." He planted a kiss on my nose. "I must know everything about you."

I giggled again. "Right back at ya."

The puppet chuckled and elbowed Jack's leg. "You had better pray that she will not leave you when she learns. She will not want to be with—"

Jack picked him up by his neck and covered his mouth with his hand. "I will tell her once we are in the attic. I would like to show her Alexis and the others."

Alexis and the others? I could not hold back tears. So it was true. Jack was responsible this entire time. He was the reason why Alexis vanished. He kidnapped her and was keeping her in said attic. I could only imagine. She was probably wearing dirty clothes. My dear sister. She was starving and exhausted. I wanted to run to her and hug her. I would not leave without her.

But why? Why would Jack take Alexis? What was there to gain?

I tapped Jack's shoulder. He faced me and dropped the dummy. The puppet landed on his bottom. I wanted to ask if he was alright, but I did not trust him. After what he tried to do to me, I did not want anything to do with him. I did not want to look at him or talk to him.

The doll growled as he stood and rubbed his bottom. "I will make you pay! No one messes with me!" He shook a wooden fist in the air.

"Do not pay any attention to him, Janice," Jack said. "I promise that it will come together when you see Alexis. When you see your sister."

I swallowed a lump in my throat as my legs quivered. I carefully took a step back and raised my hands. "So my sister was here all along. She was in your house. She is in your attic." I pointed at the attic door. "Why, Jack?" I lowered my arm. "Why did you kidnap Alexis?"

"Janice. Alexis tried kidnapping me."

"...what?"