Chapter Fifteen

I startled Alexis and Jack, but Alexis took it too far. My goodness. Siblings can be drama queens - or kings - at times, but my sister takes the cake. She is the queen of drama queens - and kings. She hopped as high as some rabbit and wrapped her arms around Jack's neck. Jack let out a yelp and held her face. He asked her what was wrong.

Alexis frowned and pressed her body against him. "Did you not hear what Janice yelled? Were you not startled like me? I feared for my life."

Told ya.

He kissed the top of her head and patted her cheek. "It took me by surprise too, but not as much as you."

You tell her, Jack! If only you knew the kind of girl that she is. I do not want your heart shattered.

Alexis tucked a hair strand behind her ear. "Well...that is because you are a man. A handsome and brave man. And I am a fragile girl. I need to be protected. I...I need you."

His eyes darted to me, and he smirked. "So what about her? What about your sister?"

She looked at me. Then back at him. "Do not mind her. We might be sisters, but I am nothing like Janice. I am not clumsy and dumb like her."

I should not have, but I was stunned by said comment. I could not believe that she would say such a foul thing in front of Jack. I figured that she was impressing him. Never figured that she would humiliate herself in front of her date. In front of the hottest guy in school.

Jeez. Is it getting hot in here? Or is it just me?

I could feel the anger growing inside me. My poor neck was aching, but I did not care. I was too angry. I balled my hand into a fist and glared at my sister. A glare that could kill. I was ticked. Ticked at Alexis. How I wanted to make her pay. I wanted to punch her ugly face. How I desired to punch her until she was knocked out. Give her a taste of the pain that she inflicted on me.

My eyelids lowered. I unclenched my fist and uttered a long whoosh of air through my nose. I could not do it. I could not do any of it. That was not me. Like I stated in the last chapter, I am not that kind of person because I am the better sister. Both Olive and I are good sisters.

I pray that Olive finds a boyfriend. The perfect boy. So do I. If Alexis ever stops stealing mine. Then again, he was not mine to begin with. Jack will never be mine.

Alexis and Jack said their goodbyes. When she was out of sight, Jack walked up to me and smiled. He held out an open hand and said, "Need a...hand?" He winked.

"I wish," I said. "It is just that I am afraid to move."

"Why, Janice? Why are you afraid to move?"

"I am in pain."

His expression changed to concern. "Here. Let me help you. You should at least sit up."

"But...it will hurt."

"I know, but lying on the floor cannot be comfortable." He dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around one of mine. "Your back is probably shouting to you to get up."

"And you would be right."

"On the count of three, I will pull you up. Please do not resist."

My breathing was shallow. "I...I will try not to."

"One...two...three!"

My screams echoed throughout the gym. Now this will be the worst pain that you will ever experience. Okay, a bone that is dislocated and put back is the worst. Hope that never happens to me. I shudder thinking about it.

I finally sat up and leaned on Jack. I felt weak. So weak that I just wanted to rest. Lie in bed and close my eyes. I told Jack. He reassured me that he would bring me to the hospital. I asked if the hospital was necessary.

"It is better safe than sorry, Janice. I just could not live with myself if something bad happened to you."

Should I tell him all about the puppets? Would he even believe me? No. He would assume that I was crazy. But I am not. I am not crazy. I know what I saw.

I smacked my lips and glanced up at him. "Too late for that. Something bad already happened to me."

His eyes went wide. "What happened to you? You need to tell me. Please. And when did it occur?"

I hesitated. "...not long ago. It happened in here. In the gym."

"Were you alone?"

"No. No, I was not alone. I was with this girl and boy. I was with them. We all were in this gym."

"Who were they? Who were the boy and girl?"

I scanned the gym and did not see my new friends. Did they get kidnapped? Were they both kidnapped by said dummies? I hope not.

"Their names were Owen and Anita. They were putting up decorations. They were hanging a banner up when I walked in."

"Owen and Anita," he said. "Anita and Owen." Then he gasped and gripped my arm. "I need you to stay here. I will be right back. And stay sitting up."

"Where are you going?"

"To one of the classrooms. I want to fetch something."

"What is it?"

"You will see."

He rose and ran as fast as he could out from the gym. I put my hands on the floor to steady myself. I wanted to lie back down so badly. I wanted to fall asleep and only have sweet dreams. No dreams about dummies.

Little did I realize that the nightmare was beginning.

A minute after Jack left, I heard heavy footsteps. I was scared.

Would I be kidnapped too?