6

Alex's POV:
Today has been extremely long and I'm ready to go home. Walking into my office I see you sitting on the couch crying.
"Y/n? What's wrong?" Your headshot up at my voice quickly drying your tears.
"Alex, sorry I thought you'd be in court. I just came in here for privacy." You stuttered.
"Why are crying?" I ask sitting across from you holding your hands in mine. You shake your head "Jack fucking railed my ass today. He doesn't think I'm cut out for this."

Anger spikes in my body. How dare he? Seeing you hurt and crying because of his words pissed me off.
"I'll kill him."
"No Alex, I have to deal with this on my own."
"But he's wrong. He doesn't see you every day as I do. You can do this y/n. He's full of shit."
You chuckle at my words squeezing my hands.
"Well, I appreciate that Alex but again I have to do this on my own. I just came in here to be alone. They're vultures out there."
"Yes, I'm all too aware. Either way, don't let Jack or anyone else cause you to doubt yourself. Take it in stride and keep fighting. Understand me?"
"Yes. Thank you." You lean in to hug me and I kiss the top of your head. As you pull back I can't stop myself from taking your lips into mine. I don't stop until my lungs burn for air regretfully I pull away. You lean your forehead against mine our breath mingling together. You stayed like that for a while until you calmed down.
" Sorry." You mumbled quietly to me as if you were embarrassed.
"It's okay. We all have bad days." I tell you.
"What time is it?"
"7:30 why?"
"Shit! I missed the bus. I'll have to wait for the one at 9."
"I can take you home or you can come back to the house with me."
"I would but I have an appointment tomorrow and the office is closer to my apartment."
"Okay, well I'll drive you home."
"It's out of your way. I'll be fine."
"You think I'd leave you here?" I ask you.
"Get your stuff, I'll drive you home."

The drive there is quiet. I keep looking between you and the road trying to see if I can read your expressions. As we pull up I notice it's not a very good neighborhood.
"This is where you live?"
"Yes."
I put the car in park as you quickly lean over to peck my cheek and try to exit the car.
"Wait!" I say tugging your arm. You stop to look at me.
"Can I come up?"
"Do you want to?"
"Why wouldn't I?"
"I don't know. This place doesn't really seem like your scene."
I chuckle "let's go up."
Walking into the apartment I notice how small it is. The layout is similar to a studio and I'm sure you pay an arm and a leg for it.
"Well, this is it?"
I take a minute to look around. Even though it's small you've made it cozy. My eyes are drawn to the photos on the wall.
"These are beautiful."
"Thanks."
I stop to see the blush across your face.
"Wait. Did you take these?"
"Yeah. "
"Y/n these are really good."
"It's just a hobby."
I smile at you as I continue to look around.
"You have a nice book collection. You read a lot?"
"Yeah."
"Me too. This your siblings?" I question holding the framed picture.
"Yeah, two sisters and my brother."
"You close?"
"Yeah. But I don't really see them much since I moved." You say sadly.
"Umm, you should go. Casey is probably wondering where you are."
"Casey's visiting her mom tonight. I already told her where I was. She said she was going to call you later on."
"Oh."
"But if you want me to leave I can."
"No.! I just I don't know Alex, I don't know how to do this with you."
"Do what?"
"This! I mean one minute your nice and you want to spend time with me and the next you're tearing my head off. I don't know what to do here."

I'm quiet for a minute processing what you just said. Mentally kicking myself for making you feel this way. Why can't I just open up to you? Why do I feel like I need to be on guard all the time? I look over to see you watching me.

"I'm sorry. I'm trying. That's why I came up here. I want to know more about you. I want to have what you and Casey have. I keep fucking it up." I breathe out heavily.

"Alex, you don't have to try so hard. I get being guarded but like I've said before I won't make Casey choose. You really need to figure out what you want."