Live like the queens and kings

Amaryllis.

The flower tended to represent pride, strength and determination.

But most importantly, rebirth.

And Amaryllis- the human, the vigilante- would be damned if she didn't live up to that definition.

So, while simultaneously investigating Sir Rogers (and hanging out with Jennette) as Athanasia, Amaryllis has made a name for herself.

The night hero.

The confident, quick witted warrior. 

One with a witty response, always ready to launch.

Lucas has seen a calmer version of Amaryllis. But that was back when they had first met and, occasionally, when she's having a bad day.

Running around, stopping petty crimes and those weird goons with the really specific brand.

(Amaryllis only pays attention to the snake part. The rest is minor detail to her.)

Amaryllis is the polar opposite of Athanasia. Covering her tracks, making sure that nobody can figure out who Amaryllis is.

(What would Jennette think? Would Claude kill her again?)

Amayllis sighed, and shook her head. Currently, she needed to observe Sir Rogers.

She didn't want to suspect Jennette's former caretaker, but the comments the crown princess made were a bit suspicious.

Currently, she was outside of the Alpheus Manor. Amaryllis had rushed off, not telling Lucas where she was going. She kind of wishes he were here now-

"YOU MORON!"

A scream came from inside the manor, causing Amaryllis to snap back to attention. A boy- Ijekiel, Amaryllis recalls- was on the floor. There was a slap mark on his face, tears barely being held back in his eyes.

The man who screamed was the owner of the manor. Sir Alpheus, who currently seemed to be intoxicated.

Which was.. odd. From what she heard, Sir Alpheus was a no-nonsense man. Who never drinks on the job.

Amaryllis was getting ready to take off, tip off the local guard to the child abuse happening in front of her. When a manp stepped out from the shadows.

He had a similar build to Claude, except with black hair and eyes. He wore a leisurely, albeit dangerous, smile.

What shocked the vigilante was two things. One, the absolutely disgusting aura he was radiating. It was.. grimy. Gross.

Secondly, the symbol on his jacket. It was the same as those goons, except the snake had crystal blue eyes. It contrasted the red eyes the rest of the grunts had.

Was- was he the leader of that dumb gang?

"Roger, dear. Calm down." The man cooed at Sir Alpheus, forcing the noble to look him in the eyes. Ijekiel very obviously flinched, glancing anywhere but the two.

That direction happened to be the window Amaryllis was watching from. The boy's eyes widened, but before anything could happen- before he could call for help, call for comfort- Amaryllis had disappeared.

Like a coward.

~

Athanasia was on high alert, her nerves going haywire. She killed two  birds with one stone, unintentionally.

She investigated Sir Rogers, figures out what was happening in that odd household.

She found the leader of that cult thing.

(That one scared her.)

Athanasia's original reason of becoming a vigilante was to help people. Help children, the more unfortunate.

She never intended to get this deep into the job.

But on the other hand, Ijekiel and Jennette technically classified as children who needed help.

They were all children who needed help.

A knock came at the door. "Princess Athanasia?"

"Oh- uh, yes?" Athanasia cleared her throat, focusing on the present.

"The emperor requests- wait no.." The voice, a maid she supposes, clears her throat. "Requires your presence. In the garden."

Athanasia felt her blood run cold. "Okay.. thank you."

~

"Jennette informed me you injured yourself, and apparently have been injured ever since the first day you arrived here."

Athanasia blinked. She was having tea time with her father. Alone.

And yes, while she was out and about performing parkour on rooftops while beating up petty thieves and those goons, she might have injured herself slightly.

"Yes, your highness. I have been slightly injured ever since I have arrived here."

Claude frowned, his gaze disapproving. "Don't lie. Do I need to give you a list of all the instances Jennette found you injured?"

The princess silently flinched. "No.."

"While it is true the only reason you were placed in the Emerald Palace was because of Jennette," Rubbing his forehead, Claude sighed. "You are still under my protection. I'm not sure what's causing you harm, however."

The vigilante- not the princess, she was too busy panicking at the moment- simply smiled. "Sorry, I suppose I'm a bit clumsy."

"Clumsy? Why did Jennette see you with a wound in your shoulder, with a knife hidden away?"

"..accident." That's what Athanasia deemed fit to say. Amaryllis retreated far into the back of her mind, not daring to slip out again. "I wanted a glass of water, however it was dark. I got proper treatment."

The emperor sighed. "Drink."

Claude pushed forward a cup of tea- it looked the same to the one Athanasia was previously drinking- and gestured for Athanasia to drink it. The princess looked up quizzically.

"Not only is it my preferred tea, it has healing properties woven into it." Claude waved his hand dismissively. "Drink."

Athanasia grabbed the cup, a bit hesitantly mind you, but drank from it anyways.

And wow.

The gentle flavors swirled around in the princess's mouth, topped off with the soothing feeling the healing magic provided. Claude took a sip of his own tea, sighing quietly.

"My mind feels a lot clearer, drinking this." The emperor remarked absentmindedly.

Athanasia simply hummed in agreement, feeling whatever scars her body harbored heal slightly, the skin returning to it's once blank slate. "It feels like flowers are blooming in my mouth."

The emperor tensed. "I think we're done for today."

"Oh." Athanasia blinked before nodding. "Right. It has been a pleasure, your majesty."

As the princess turned to leave, she felt her father's stare bore a hole into her back.

But it didn't feel the same as before. Athanasia no longer felt like she was walking on eggshells around the man.

It was.. a start.

Have you tried NOT dying? | Lucathyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें